Grassroot Soccer (GRS) is an innovative, international adolescent health organization that educates, inspires and mobilizes young people to overcome their greatest health challenges and live healthier, more productive lives. GRS uses the power of soccer to connect young people with mentors, information and health services they need to thrive, and empowers adolescents to make educated choices about pressing health challenges such as HIV and AIDS, sexual health, and gender-based violence. GRS’s evidence-based programs, led by trained local Coaches, incorporate soccer into dynamic lessons about health and wellness that engage young people and break down cultural barriers.
GRS South Africa plans to add a senior-level position to its leadership team that will oversee the development and maintenance of the finance, operations and human resource systems required of a fast-growing NGO.
Job Title: Finance and Operations Manager
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Reports to: Managing Director, Grassroot Soccer South AfricaPosition
The Finance and Operations Manager is a full-time position on the senior management team of GRS South Africa. S/he is responsible for ensuring the financial, operational and administrative systems are in place to manage expenditure efficiently and ensure compliance with organizational policy, grant requirements, and local regulations. The Finance and Operations Manager is responsible for managing and drive the accuracy of organisational budgets/reports, forecasts, fiancial planning and ensuring compliance in procurement and expenditure, and working closely with the Managing Director and Senior Programme Managers to enable timely and effective programme implementation. S/he is responsible to driving delivery, provide support and partner with the Organisation’s executives in improving and analyising financial delivarables. S/he will report to the Managing Director (MD) and be the line manager for the Senior Finance Officer and the Procurement/Admin Officer.
- Be the first point of contact on financial matters for the MD and other Global partners and stakeholders.
- Manage the finance and accounting functions for GRS South Africa, including but not limited to financial management, accounting, planning/budgeting, budget monitoring, auditing and reporting.
- Oversee all GRS South Africa financial policies and procedures and ensure adherence to South Africa and Grassroot Soccer’s global accounting standards.
- Monitor and review the financial systems, controls, policies and procedures to ensure they are operating properly, are current, and align with GRS Global and donor requirements.
- Ensure financial processing and reporting is timely and accurate and all balance sheeet and vendor accounts are reconciled and properly supported.
- Lead the annual audit process, organizational risk assessments, and the internal auditing function.
- Manage financial reporting to the Managing Director, South Africa Board of Directors and internal reporting to the finance team at GRS headquarters in the US.
- Manage and ensure financial record keeping (vendor files, consultant files, purchasing documents, fixed asset support & subsidiary ledgers) is appropriate and efficient.
- Proactively partner with the Organisations’ leaders to identify and evaluate opportunities to improve bottom line business performance and ensure that change initiatives are implemented.
Budgeting & Grant Management
- Responsible for creating budgets, monitoring and allocating of the company’s budgets, financial forecasts and cash flow within South Africa.
- Develop, manage and own annual costed workplans with GRS SA SMT.
- Develop proposal budgets with the SA and global Business Development teams.
- Work with the Programmes, Monitoring & Evaluation, Business Development, and Finance teams to ensure coherence and effectively spend, allocate, and report on all grants across the the organisation.
- Assist Programme Managers in addressing contract-related issues and managing projects/grants/site budgets.
- Ensure that program and grant financial controls and systems comply with organisational and donor regulations.
General Operations and Administration
- Oversee all GRS South Africa operations manuals, policies, and procedures, including the organization’s travel policy.
- Maintain GRS South Africa’s fraud management and reporting system and ensure that staff are routinely trained on how and when to report fraud.
- Provide supervisory oversight of all GRS South Africa operations staff (procurement officer, office assistants and site operations representative).
- Ensure GRS is properly insured and assist in coordinating insurance renewals and claims.
- Manage and oversee all regulatory reporting and liaise with relevant government ministries related to organizational registration.
- Oversee general office administration, including office repairs/upgrades, IT connectivity, office security, vehicle use and tracking, etc.
- Oversee GRS South Africa’s asset management system to ensure assets are tracked, properly maintained and safeguarded.
- Ensure that GRS operations systems and procedures are in line with GRS, government and donor policies and demonstrate sound resource management.
- Ensure quality control for servicing external and internal customers, ensuring that systems are streamlined and efficient.
- Responsible for overseeing internal controls and procurement processes.
- Review and authorisation payment of all supplier payments on a weekly/daily/monthly basis in accordance with company procurement policies.
- Responsible for all fiancial and procurement training and compliance. Make certain staff understand and follow internal controls, policies and procedures through proper monitoring, routine training and regular feedback and communication.
- Oversee the activities of the team to ensure effective delivery of business outcomes and to deliver outstanding customer service
- Develop a high performing team by embedding formal performance management process. Encourage frequent knowledge sharing between team members.
- Determine and analyse development needs for the team and ensure that identified training requirements are budgeted for and executed.
- When required, initiate disciplinary processes for team members calling on support from Human Resources when required.
- Resolve grievances raised by team members and escalate only if required.
- Address poor performance in the team through the formal Performance improvement programme and ensure that continued poor performance is appropriately dealt with.
- Mentor, motivate and develop staff
Key Professional Experience
- Possesses a minimum of a degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or related fields relevant to the responsibilities of the role (Master’s Degree recommended)
- At least seven years of experience in financial management for large complex projects, of which at least three years were working on large donor-funded project (ideally USAID, DFID, or other government bilateral donor)
- Experience managing and supervising finance and operations staff
- Experience providing financial and operations support to donor-funded programs in South Africa
- Experience monitoring and analyzing budget trends and funding levels across multiple accounts
- Demonstrated knowledge of USAID rules, regulations, and reporting requirements preferred
- Experience in managing a large budget effectively
- Strategic planning experience
- Experience in effectively directing large, complex and distributed teams
- Acts with integrity and fairness and high standards of accountability
- Strong stakeholder engagement and management experience
Ideal candidate should demonstrate the following traits:
Successful leaders at Grassroot Soccer are bold, yet humble. They are passionate about the mission of Grassroot Soccer, and understand their role on the Grassroot Soccer team to achieve its mission.
Day to day, they are….
- Proactive: can anticipate both opportunities and obstacles and take action
- Professional: level-headed; ability to de-escalate difficult situations, behave exceptionally, and manage/minimize distractions
- Problem Solvers: comfortable with ambiguity, can creatively unlock bottlenecks and turn problems into opportunities
…they demonstrate lots of…
- Common Sense: prioritizing the right things at the right time; making good, quick, informed decisions balancing multiple issues and points of view
- Self-awareness: know where one’s blind spots are, recognize differences, and build a team to complement one’s skills and weaknesses
…and a strong bias for…
- Follow-through and outcomes: deliver results, not just create lots of activity
- Treating people well: empathetic, kind, great listener, yet can make tough decisions and hold oneself/others accountable
Send your letter of motivation, resumé and contact details of three professional references to [email protected] with the email subject line: Finance and Operations Manager GRS SA
Application Deadline: 20 November 2020.
If you do not hear from us within two weeks from the closing date, kindly consider your application unsuccessful.