Grassroot Soccer South Africa (GRS South Africa) is an independent, locally registered non-profit organisation with a South African Board of Directors. Grassroot Soccer first began programmes in South Africa in 2006, and has steadily built a very strong local infrastructure.
Affiliate sites in South Africa are located in Alexandra and Soweto (both in Johannesburg), and Khayelitsha (in Cape Town). Each of these three sites has a full-time local staff cohort and Coaches who deliver programme results. GRS South Africa is proud to manage two FIFA Football for Hope Centres, at our Alexandra and Khayelitsha sites. GRS also works with several in-country partners to deliver programming country-wide, and has worked in all 9 provinces.
Job Title: Manager – HR and Wellness
Location: Parktown, Sunnyside Office Park
REPORTING TO: Finance and Operations Director, Grassroot Soccer South Africa
To effectively lead and manage the Human Resource function of Grassroot Soccer South Africa ( GRS SA), including the implementation of recruitment, talent management, and retention strategies to ensure employees of GRS SA have the tools and resources to deliver on their responsibilities and contribute positively to organizational culture. This will include the steadfast adherence to best practice and SA Labor Law; the strengthening and implementation of HR policies and protocols; and a human centered approach.
Human Resource Protocols and Policies
- Facilitate the implementation of HR policies and procedures so that the understanding, implementation and practice of policies and procedures across GRS SA is consistent and standard.
- Manage risk by alignment of our policies and procedures with SA legislation and funder requirements (CCMA. retrenchments, employment contacts (fixed term, core, incremental, etc.), discrimination claim, and ensuring an equitable work environment and application of policy.
- Safeguard the office by developing and executing health and safety plans. Ensuring staff understand the safety and security protocols (escape routes, emergency phone numbers, biometric security system, confidential files, staff schedules, etc.) by providing documentation and holding trainings.
- Keep abreast of relevant HR trends and ensure such best practice is integrated into the organisation’s HR practices.
- Provide line management to the Human Resource Coordinator and Senior Care Coordinator, as well as the Care Coordination function at GRS SA.
Employee Life Cycle Management
- Ensure that recruitment and selection practices are in line with legislative requirements and organisational policies and procedures.
- Support GRS SA management with developing and revising job descriptions, placing job advertisement on recruitment platforms, as well as guiding them with the recruitment and interview process.
- Assist in managing employment contracting, on-boarding and off-boarding processes.
- Lead the on-boarding process (space planning, staff logistics, computer & equipment needs, orientation schedule and program) for Cape Town employees and assist in off boarding as needed.
- Orient the employee to the GRS Employee Guide, provide an overview of GRS benefits and/or schedule a benefits orientation, facilitate enrollment in benefit programs and ensure new employee paperwork is complete.
- Action all steps required to terminate an employee from the company in accordance with the termination procedures e.g. medical aid, prepare and issue the certificate of service, ensure steps are taken to issue the employee with a UIF certificate, proper handover procedures are performed, GRS equipment is returned and outstanding work is turned over.
- Closely monitor the expiry of employment contracts and maintain the contracts database.
Compensation and Employee Benefits
- Ensure GRS employees are compensated on time, with transparency, and predictability.
- Timeously approve the monthly HR payroll report (statutory deductions, medical aid, and other benefit deductions, expense reconciliation payments, new engagements, terminations, salary increments, etc) and submit to Finance for capturing and processing.
- Manage compensation and the organisation’s salaries, benefit and training budget. (Salary scale/banding, offers to new employees, annual salary adjustments, etc).
- Manage leave time (annual leave, study leave, etc) by ensuring that staff understand leave policies, staff follow organisational leave application policy, managers accurately manage leave applications, leave time is properly recorded in the timesheet system and the liability for annual leave time is properly managed.
- Manage the timesheet process to ensure accuracy and timeliness.
Performance Management Support
- Provide technical support to staff in the execution of performance management processes
- Ensure all staff have a proper job description as well as an annual work plan
- Advise on disciplinary procedures, performance improvement plans and or conduct improvement plans.
Training and Skills Development
- In conjunction with line managers, analyse training needs and prioritise training initiatives in accordance with organisational priorities, needs and budget parameters.
- In consultation with line management, facilitate the preparation, implementation and monitoring of appropriately informed Personal Development Plans for all GRS staff.
- Where appropriate, conduct and or coordinate relevant training sessions for GRS staff.
- Ensure that skills development information is accurately maintained in the database.
- Oversee training and development provided by organisations/consultants to support skills development for GRS staff and coaches.
Governance and Administration Oversight
- Ensure the accurate record keeping of employee information throughout the employee life cycle.
- Ensure that all administrative functions are executed in a professional, confidential, efficient and effective manner e.g. leave management, filing systems, etc.
- Ensure the adherence to HR systems security controls to safeguard the confidential integrity and access of employee information.
- Conduct relevant research on best practice as it relates to HR analytics, make suggestions for improvement and lead implementation.
- Provide audit support to the finance team by ensuring that all HR employee records are accurate and properly filed
- Provide monthly HR reports to the Finance and Operations Director and quarterly reports required for Board meetings
- Manage relations with the organisation’s statutory service providers and provide guidance and support to on queries.
- Ensure GRS SA staff are trained and able to navigate GRS policies and procedures, handle complaints and assist in resolving conflicts, and refer staff to HR and support services when necessary. This includes informal and formal complaint management.
- Protect the interests of employees and the organisation in accordance with company Human Resource policies and governmental laws and regulations.
- Help establish and facilitate a culture of professionalism, pro-activeness and problem solving.
- Help to monitor organisational culture (HQ & Sites) so that supports the attainment of the company’s goals and promotes employee satisfaction.
- Plan and facilitate the team building and wellness events, welcomes, farewells, celebrations, employee communications, etc.
Employee Wellness Programme
- In consultation with the Senior Care Coordinator, develop an annual wellness plan and oversee the implementation of the organisation’s employee wellness programme.
- Provide regular written reports to the Finance and Operations Director on the progress of the wellness programme and the implementation of intervention measures.
- Make recommendations for improving the wellness programme.
- Superb knowledge and application of all relevant South Africa legislation
- Superb knowledge and application of recruitment and selection practices and procedures.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office – including Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Consummate professionalism and discretion.
- Excellent planning, organisational skills.
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
- Honesty and integrity.
- Good team player.
- Responsible and accountable.
- Good work ethic.
Ideal candidate should demonstrate the following traits:
Successful leaders at Grassroot Soccer are bold, yet humble. They are passionate about the mission of Grassroot Soccer, and understand their role on the Grassroot Soccer team to achieve its mission.
Day to day, they are…
- Proactive: can anticipate both opportunities and obstacles and take action
- Professional: level-headed; ability to de-escalate difficult situations, behave exceptionally, and manage/minimize distractions
- Problem Solvers: comfortable with ambiguity, can creatively unlock bottlenecks and turn problems into opportunities
…they demonstrate lots of…
- Common Sense: prioritizing the right things at the right time; making good, quick, informed decisions balancing multiple issues and points of view
- Self-awareness: know where one’s blind spots are, recognize differences, and build a team to complement one’s skills and weaknesses
…and a strong bias for…
- Follow-through and outcomes: deliver results, not just create lots of activity
- Treating people well: empathetic, kind, great listener, yet can make tough decisions and hold oneself/others accountable
Please submit a CV (max 4 pages and with contactable references) and a cover letter addressed to: Email [email protected] with the email subject line; Human Resource and Wellness Manager
Application Deadline: Thursday, 31 October 2019