Greenpeace exists because this fragile earth deserves a voice. It needs solutions. It needs change. It needs action. Greenpeace Africa is a growing movement of people acting in protection of the environment.
Our campaigns use peaceful, creative confrontation to expose environmental injustices around the world and develop solutions for a green and peaceful future.
Job Title: Executive Director
We are looking for applications from exceptional, courageous, committed, visionary leaders who are interested in leading Greenpeace Africa into the 2020s.
Responsible for the successful leadership and management of the organisation according to the strategic direction set by the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is appointed by the Board and provides day-to-day leadership and manages the organisation to achieve its strategic objectives. Working closely with the Board and staff, the ED develops a broad support for a well-articulated vision, implementation strategy and analysis. By recruiting and retaining a high-performance team and establishing key relationships, the ED ensures that this vision is translated into programmes and actions that clearly deliver year on year progress.
Within the Secretariat, the ED ensures that there are relevant administrative processes, adequate controls and financial systems so that the organisation is an effective steward of the funds placed at its disposal and meets high standards of accountability and transparency.
The Key Performance Areas of this challenging and exciting role include:
- Strategy Direction – Providing leadership in developing the organization’s overall strategic direction
- Leadership and Culture – Providing leadership towards Greenpeace’s commitment to diversity and inclusion and direction and leadership for the growth and management of the overall strategy
- Communications, Relations, Advocacy – Ensuring effective internal communication across Greenpeace Africa
- Operational Management – Overseeing coordination of all Greenpeace Africa activities through regular consultation with the Senior Management Team (SMT)
- Organisational effectiveness – Overseeing the development of operational plans based on analysis of priority conditions on the continent
- Resource and Financial Management – Identify the programmatic and operational resource needs of Greenpeace Africa and ensure that these needs are met
- Resource mobilization skills and experience – knowledge and experience of individual giving programs and movement-building approaches will be a distinct advantage
- Innovation and Collaboration – Challenging the status quo with ‘out-of-the-box’ solutions
We are seeking applications from outstanding, committed, energetic, courageous, flexible and innovative executive leaders who have a profound understanding of the environmental challenges faced by the peoples of Africa and a track record of, and a commitment to, bringing about measurable change through their work:
These strategic and analytical thinkers must display the following attributes:
- Extensive experience in effectively leading and managing an organisation
- Knowledge and experience of Climate Change/Environment
- Demonstrated high level interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to develop and maintain effective multi layered relationships
- Self-motivation and pro-activeness
- Knowledge and experience in managing campaigns, conflict resolution and negotiations
- Knowledge and understanding of the NGO and INGO sector
- Financial acumen and the ability to prepare, present and monitor budgets
- High level presentation and reporting skills
- Stamina, resilience, able to work under pressure, pay attention to detail
- Ability to create team spirit, foster teamwork and engagement, and harness creative energy that lies within your sphere of influence
- A positive, driven mindset, open and curious with a solutions-oriented attitude
- Empathetic, able to embrace diversity and bring out the best in people
- Act with humility and integrity
- Fluency in English, with French a definite asset
- Candidates must be flexible and able to travel extensively, both throughout Africa and internationally.
- Greenpeace has a policy of redressing gender imbalance in the workplace, particularly within the leadership, so African women are particularly encouraged to apply.
Does the above describe and excite you? Then we want to hear from you!
You can view the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application to us [email protected]pointments.co.za
Application Deadline: Friday, 30 August, 2019