Here in South Africa, we’ve hosted over 18,000 inspired volunteers since 1996. People tend to think we’re all about building houses. But it’s about so much more than that.
For us, it’s a holistic process. We work with the community. We work with families. We work with the government and private citizens and corporations. And through our people centred approach we help communities address, improve and self-manage their development to sustain their economic futures. We’re also respected advocates in housing and community development policy.
We’re playing our part. We’re changing South Africa. And we’re so excited to welcome you.
Job Title: Community Development Practitioner
Job Location: Durban
The following position has become available at the offices of Habitat for Humanity South Africa based at Musgrave Durban.
To focus on working and partnering with identified project communities to implement HFHSA community development strategy, develop and facilitate community and social development processes that will lead to increased community participation and delivery of sustainable, vibrant and connected community.
This position will report to Community Projects Specialist
Primary duties and responsibilities will include:
- Lead, co-ordinate and facilitate social development work in projects
- Support community- led development and work with communities to develop leadership, skills and capacity
- Effective stakeholder engagement
- Monitoring, evaluation, learning and reporting
- Produce quality reports
- Active participation in Habitat SA’s lobbying and advocacy programme
- Active participation in Habitat SA’s Build Events programme
- Establish community trainers/teams who will support and serve as HFHSA eyes and ears in the community
- Office based work in Durban
- Monday to Friday, 8am – 5pm
Qualifications and experience:
- A qualification in Development Studies or Social Studies or equivalent
- Training in social science research methods, relevant to monitoring and evaluation, both quantitative and qualitative
- Proven track record in community-centric approaches and development facilitation (2-3 years’ practical experience preferred)
- Demonstrate experience in using data to inform project and programme decision-making, communication planning, resource allocation and other strategic initiatives
- Demonstrate understanding of monitoring and evaluation principles and practice
Knowledge, skills, abilities and experience:
- Experience in working and communicating across all levels
- Excellent interpersonal, written and communication skills
- Valid Code 8 driver’s license and own vehicle is non-negotiable
- Proficient in MS Office (i.e. Word, Excel and Power-Point)
- Local language proficiency is of utmost importance (depending on the province)
- Must be able to work independently with little supervision
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Behave Ethically
- Build Relationships
- Communicate Effectively
- Focus on Client needs/Customer Service
- Foster Teamwork
- Ability to make Decisions
- Time Management
- Solve problems
- Timeous and accurate
Salary and Benefits:
- Type: Permanent
- Remuneration: R16,000.00 to R20,000.00 depending on the experience and qualifications
How to apply:
Should you meet the above criteria, please read the following instructions carefully to ensure that your application is not disqualified:
Send us an email with the following information:
- In the body of your email, please include a covering letter describing why you think you have everything we’re looking for and why you want this opportunity.
- Attached your CV with contactable references as a PDF
- Send your email to [email protected]
PLEASE NOTE: No telephonic correspondence will be entered into. Please do not phone us to follow up on your application. Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Should you not receive feedback from HFHSA after the closing date, consider your application as unsuccessful.
Application Deadline: 19th October, 2018