Help2read, established in 2006, is a literacy development, non-profit organisation working to develop English literacy skills of Foundation Phase learners in low and no-fee government schools in and around Johannesburg and the Cape Peninsula. Help2read’s Vision is that all children will leave primary school literate.
To achieve this, help2read provides one-on-one English literacy interventions by training volunteers and youth Literacy Tutors to assist in over crowded primary schools, providing individual reading and literacy support to Foundation Phase learners throughout the year.
Job Title: Relationship Coordinator
Location: Randburg, Gauteng
Employment type: Full time, 1 year contract; renewable based on progress and performance.
Remuneration: Negotiable depending on experience and qualifications.
Commencement date: 6 January 2020.
The main purpose of this position is to train, support and coordinate the activities of the volunteers and Literacy Tutors delivering the help2read Volunteer Reading Helper and Literacy Tutor Programmes predominantly in Randburg, Alexandria, Diepsloot, Soweto and Lenasia.
- Coordinate and deliver growth in quantity and quality of the help2read programmes in Gauteng through (i) the active recruitment, training, support and retention of tutors, volunteers and schools within the region; (ii) the identification, development and maintenance of strong and mutually beneficial partnerships between help2read and partner schools, volunteers and civil society organizations committed to a common goal.
- Ensure the quality, performance efficiency and effectiveness of programmatic delivery of help2read’s programmes in schools, building and maintaining relationships with volunteers, schools, donors, partners and school sponsors to ensure the long-term sustainability of the programme and its impact in the communities and schools, and ensuring that the right ongoing training and support is provided to volunteers and tutors to help them work confidently and effectively with learners.
- Comprehensively implement the organisation’s programme administrative and monitoring systems and implement a structured and comprehensive internal evaluation programme.
- Contribute to the ideas, expansion, growth, performance and programme effectiveness, strategic positioning, brand development, community awareness and communication of help2read and its purpose so as to raise its profile and reach as both a thought and practice leader active in promoting literacy skills development and a love of reading amongst South Africa’s primary school children, their schools, families and communities.
- Relevant tertiary qualification (Education/Youth Development or equivalent)
- Minimum three years’ experience in any of the above fields
- A valid drivers licence
- Experience working in NGOs (specifically education) and/or government would be an advantage
- Computer literacy: MS Office suite
- Core values: integrity; professionalism; respect for diversity and an avid reader.
Interested applicants should email: [email protected]
- A letter of application, clearly stating “RELATIONSHIP COORDINATOR”
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Application Deadline: Monday, 4 November, 2019