Hollard is South Africa’s largest independent and privately owned insurance group. We’ve grown from strength to strength over the past 30 years because we do things differently. Our most valuable assets, our people, follow a set of core values that are the driving force behind the ‘Hollard Way’.
We appreciate our people and we recognise our success depends on them. By helping careers grow with a long-term vision, our people can reach their full potential. A well planned ‘career’ grows, bends and flexes as you do, and we take every opportunity to help and guide Hollardites with their chosen career path. We understand that it’s the power of people and their influence that determines whether our business fails or succeeds.
We are seeking for a Legal and Compliance Specialist
Job Code: HIP0001
Closing Date: 31 Jul 2010
Business Unit / Division:
Hollard Insurance Partners (HIP)
- Dealing with all Short Term Ombudsman matters in conjunction with Hollard Legal on behalf of the HIP team as per the pre-defined business processes.
- Dealing with all general Customer Complaints on behalf of the HIP team and log them in the Hollard complaints register.
- Dealing with all Arbitration matters and Ex Gratia requests that may arise with any other business unit as per the pre-defined business processes (e.g. with Hollard Select Brokers [HSB]).
- Dealing with all new and amended Policy wordings and getting them drafted and then signed off and approved via Hollard Legal and Compliance as per the pre-defined business processes.
- Dealing with all the new and amended Legal Agreements and getting them drafted and then signed off and approved via Hollard Legal and Compliance as per the pre-defined business processes.
- Keeping abreast of all Industry related legislative issues and pro actively communicate the relevant issues to our partners and team.
- HIP Team and the broader Hollard Legal and Compliance team
- External clients/policyholders and HIP business partners
- External attorneys
- The Ombudsman for short term insurance
- Financial Services Board
- SAIA or any other relevant insurance body.
- Build and maintain a relationship with the Ombudsman in order to reduce the number of matters settled against HIP/Hollard and to this end attend meetings when needs be.
- Manage HIP’s portfolio of Ombudsman complaints fulfilling all administration and partner liaison functions in that regard as well as compiling trend reports for each partner in conjunction with Hollard Legal.
- Build and maintain relationships with Central, other legal teams in Hollard and HIP partners.
- Drafting of policy wordings or managing the outsourcing of this where highly technical, to relevant external attorneys for approval by Central Legal and Compliance.
- Drafting of legal agreements as per current templates for shareholders and Underwriting Management Agencies (UMA’s) as well as other ad hoc agreements ranging from distribution, SLA’s to sale of shares, as may be requested from time-to-time.
- Engaging with various business units in Hollard, following the claims conflict process, to resolve any disputes between HIP and other Hollard partners on claims and to ensure constructive relationships between all Hollard partners and fairness to policyholders.
- Engage with the outsourced compliance officers within each partner to ensure consistency in approach, shared learnings and best practice across UMA’s.
- Facilitating presentations either oneself or outsourced on regulatory changes both insurance and other legislation which could impact on the partners, with a focus on simplifying what appears complicated, interpreting the impact on the partner’s businesses and identifying universal solutions where appropriate or customised interventions per partner.
- Liaising with the customer, partners and relevant HIP principal on customer complaints, ensuring prompt and fair resolution to such matters.
- Liaising with partners and Central Legal on litigation matters either involving Hollard through HIP only, or Hollard through one of the UMA partners. This may be claims or any other business matter.
- Providing support and the necessary information and positioning to Legal and Compliance on any investigations by the FSB or enquiries via SAIA that may involve HIP or its partners.
Qualifications / Work Experience:
Admitted attorney with 2 years experience as a practicing attorney with exposure to insurance matters or at least 10 years experience in the Legal Department of an insurance entity.
Commercial and Personal short term claims experience an advantage.
Sound computer literacy.
Organisational knowledge and awareness (Hollard).
Sensitivity to internal organisation dynamics.
Very strong administrative skills with planning and organising abilities
Good communication skills – verbal and written
Attention to detail
Relationship Management – creating, maintaining and developing relationships
Time management and self-management ability
Integration skills – integrating resources and appropriate people to maximise service and task delivery
Diplomacy and tact – reading situations and reacting appropriately
Ability to transfer knowledge, both technical and conceptual.
Strategic input – ability to understand and contribute to the HIP strategy.
Judgement and problem solving skills – analysing situations and arriving at logical alternatives.
Logical reasoning – seeking logical evidence to confirm and check arguments and to follow reasoning process to its logical conclusion.
Team player – identifying with the team purpose and goals. Contributing pro-actively to team outcomes
Assertiveness – appropriately and confidently communicating
Initiative – proactive
Goal directedness – patience, tenacity and persistence to achieve long and short term goals
Client and service orientation
Flexibility – altering behaviour and opinions in the light of new information or changing situations or circumstances
Apply online Now