Equal Education is a movement of learners, parents, teachers and community members working for quality and equality in South African education, through analysis and activism. Equal Education is organised in five provinces: Eastern Cape, Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal, Limpopo, and the Western Cape. Equal Education works by identifying systemic and localised problems affecting the quality of education, and addresses these problems through local and national campaigns, a commitment to robust political education and campaign building with members, as well as building a strong research base through primary and secondary research.
Equal Education aspires to be a place where all of our members become conscious and active participants in society who strive to uphold values of honesty, equality, and inclusivity Our principles for a safe and welcoming workplace aim to create an environment that enables growth, is inclusive and safe for all who pass through the organisation.
Successful candidates must have a strong commitment to democracy, equality, social justice and human rights; be committed to strengthening the education system in South Africa and to investing time and energy to address the inequality that affects so many of our youth.
Job Title: Human Resources Manager
Location: Khayelitsha, Western Cape
Reports to: Operations Manager
Salary range: R312,000 – R385,000 per annum
About the position
The Human Resources Manager provides strategic direction on recruitment, retention, performance management, and relevant policies. A core function of the position is to champion progressive policies and procedures that promote a safe and inclusive workplace that fosters personal and professional development. They oversee the Human Resources Administrator, as well as sit on various committees. As part of the management team, the HR Manager contributes to the planning and execution of organisational objectives.
- Support the development, implementation and monitoring of EE’s HR policies and systems;
- Oversee recruitment, including preparation of job descriptions, job adverts, managing the hiring process, and conducting interviews;
- Oversee retention, including developing effective onboarding plans for new employees, championing staff development, and promoting a conducive work environment;
- Provide guidance and support to EE’s management team with performance management processes;
- Support management with disciplinary and grievance matters, including representing the organisation at the CCMA;
- Oversee Occupational Health & Safety, including ensuring compliance audits are done annually in all EE’s offices;
- Ensure payroll details are accurate and submitted timeously to the payroll administrator monthly;
- Prepare regular reports for the senior management team, management, EE’s National Council, and HR Subcommittee
- Provide oversight and management of internships, volunteer opportunities, local and international exchange programs;
- Coordinate EE’s HR Subcommittee;
- Manage the HR Administrator; and
- Stay abreast of regulatory developments and codes of good practice, including but not limited to the Labour Relations Act (LRA), Basic Conditions of Employment Act (BCEA), OHS and Protection of Personal Information (POPI) Act.
Qualifications, skills and competencies
- A diploma/degree in relevant field of study or work experience and demonstrable subject knowledge;
- 3-5 years experience in the same/similar role, with supervisory or management experience advantageous;
- Strong understanding of labour regulatory framework;
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills;
- Additional South African language skills are highly valued;
- Demonstrate an ability to help build internal capacity of staff and management;
- Ability to listen, show patience, and employ compassionate decision-making;
- Detail and systems oriented;
- Ability to coordinate and prioritise competing work demands;
- Proficient in MS Office Suite;
- Possession of a valid driver’s license is beneficial.
- A complete application consists of a cover letter and curriculum vitae. Each document should be saved in pdf format with the name surname and type of document included in the title, i.e. XXXXXXX_XXXXXXX_cv.pdf
- You must indicate clearly in your cover letter and email subject line, which position you are applying for.
- You should motivate specifically for the position you are applying for and also detail your interest and suitability to work at EE. Generic cover letters are strongly advised against.
- Please include a minimum of two contactable references.
Applications must be sent to [email protected]
Application Deadline: 5 August 2020