Posted on :
17 Dec, 2014
17 Dec, 2014
Murray & Roberts Projects invite suitably qualified candidates to apply for the position of HSE Manager for the Medupi Project reporting to the Site Manager. The project entails the building of 6 x 780 MW Coal Fired Super Critical Boiler for the coal fired Medupi Power Station to be erected at the Medupi Site at Lephalale, Limpopo , South Africa.
The Health, Safety and Environmental Manager is responsible for the development, roll out and maintenance of the organisation’s HSE management system, plans and specific programs. The HSE Manager ensures compliance to all South African safety and environmental laws.
The HSE Manager is accountable for the ongoing and day-to-day provision of HSE support, advice, training, reporting functions and systems maintenance for MRPE Medupi Site.
Tasks relating to the role will be undertaken through active involvement with management and the workforce to ensure the highest levels of communication, support and advice are provided.
The successful candidate’s responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
KEY AND SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
• Management of all Health, Safety and Environmental matters on site.
• Maintenance of HSE Plans and HSE corrective actions.
• Ensure the Development and distribution of monthly HSE reports, presentations and HSE topic that provide employees with workplace injury statistics, new initiatives and system changes.
• Keep abreast of legislative changes and best practice methods.
• Advise management of any system and legislative changes to ensure tasks are undertaken safely and comply with internal and external requirements.
• Provide accurate and timely advice to managers on prevailing HSE issues.
• Actively participate in formal and informal communication to increase and enhance the understanding and awareness of HSE issues.
• Leading and evaluating all subcontractor Health, safety & environmental
• Advising management on legal and safety rules compliance and best practices
• Direct communications between injured employees, their management and medical providers to ensure that all parties are aware of rights, responsibilities and recovery plans.
• Management and training of all HSE personnel
• Participate in relevant industry bodies, lead internal HSE forums etc. to maintain a level of contemporary knowledge and best practice approaches.
• Continually review work practices and recommend ways in which processes and systems can be improved.
• Conduct regular workplace inspections and audits across varying locations across various sites.
• Develop memos, letters and alike to communicate and reinforce specific HSE issues with key stake holders (Management, HSE Representatives and the general workforce).
• Develop, coordinate and deliver HSE training programs to the workforce and management.
• Observe and visibly demonstrate Occupational Health and Safety requirements and practices.
Suitable candidates must have the following work experience:
A minimum of 10 years’ experience as an HSE Manager with an additional 5 years’ experience as an HSE Practitioner or Safety Officer. Must have experience in dealing with all levels of the organization in order to properly manage health, safety and the environmental matters.
ATTRIBUTES AND SKILLS:
• A team builder with good communication skills and a capacity to engage audiences across all levels.
• Capability to manage conflict and change effectively.
• Customer service orientation.
• Mature and unbiased approach.
• Logical, accurate and precise in all dealings.
• Good analytical and reasoning capabilities.
• Consultative orientation and efficient time management skills.
• Ability to act with discretion and treat confidential information appropriately.
• The ability to influence people at all levels to improve HSE outcomes and organisational culture.
• Systems thinking.
• Able to prioritise and handle several different tasks at the same time.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Education Suitable candidates must possess the following minimum qualifications and skills:
•Formal qualifications in OH&S or associated fields.
•As a minimum possess Programmes in Occupational Health and Safety / Construction Health and Safety (NQF Level 3 -5).
• Must meet the requirements of the registration of a Construction Health and Safety Manager as per SACPCMP.
• Registered as a Construction Health and Safety Manager or well advanced.
• Sound understanding of HSE legislative requirements.
• Formal Training & Assessment qualifications desirable.
• Proficient at using and generating documents with MS Word, Excel and powerpoint.
• Broad knowledge and experience in risk assessments and audit processes.
How to Apply
Location Medupi – Lephalale
Nature of Employment Limited Duration Contract Employee
Notes Please note that:
1. The Recruiter may amend, delete or expire jobs at any time without notification.
2. Murray & Roberts Projects reserves the right not to proceed with filling the position.
3. An application will not in itself entitle the applicant to an interview.
4. If you do not receive any feedback on your application within 4 weeks from the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
5. Please note that the suitable candidate must be willing to be re-assigned to Kusile Power Project in Witbank , Lephalale, if operational requirements should deem it necessary.