ICLEI–Local Governments for Sustainability is a global network of over 1 750 cities and other subnational governments committed to building a sustainable future. ICLEI provides technical services, capacity building, networking opportunities and cutting-edge urban solutions to its member cities and their communities. ICLEI’s African Head Office, which serves ICLEI’s member cities from across Africa, is based in Cape Town (www.africa.iclei.org). ICLEI Africa also proudly hosts ICLEI’s global Cities Biodiversity Center (CBC) which works with cities and partners across the world (www.cbc.iclei.org).
ICLEI Africa is looking for suitably qualified individuals who are passionate about nature, cities and people to apply for the position below, to join our African and CBC teams of dynamic urban sustainability professionals within the Biodiversity and Nature-based Solutions workstream.
Job Title: Professional Officer – Cities and Nature
Location: Cape Town
ICLEI’s flagship global programme on nature and cities, CitiesWithNature, is growing and we are looking for a candidate who is self-motivated and enthusiastic, to recruit cities and regions from around the world, as well as support expansion into new thematic areas and offerings.
Our successful candidate must be diplomatic, sensible, enjoy a challenge and engaging with people at different levels, have strong organizational and attention to detail skills, and proven experience in the following areas:
- Development and implementation urban development policy, strategy and action plans at subnational (city and regional) government level with specialized skills and experience in one or more of the following fields:
- Nature-based solutions, including green/blue (ecological) infrastructure and ecosystem-based adaptation; urban nature; ecosystem services assessment; landscape and systems level biodiversity conservation and management; nature and health; conservation ecology in urban context; resilience and sustainable development; and urban development and planning
- Liaison, networking and engagement with a wide range of public officials at different levels, NGOs, academics, professionals and stakeholders and being able to effectively and creatively communicate technical subjects to diverse audiences
- Development of multi-year programme and project concepts, terms of reference, work plans and budgets, project implementation and working in, and managing, multi-disciplinary project teams
- Building, supporting and maintaining strategic and operational partnerships
Candidates who demonstrate a keen interest for, and proven experience in, the design, building and establishment of new components of web-based media and communication platforms will have an added advantage.
Candidates should demonstrate a keen interest for, and proven experience in, business development and mobilising resources; be delivery and results-orientated; as well as have a strong city/local government orientation and focus and a well-developed awareness of the role cities and regions play in biodiversity conservation, and the overall resilience of cities.
- Relevant Master’s or equivalent qualification
- Three to five years of relevant work experience preferably within, or closely with, local or other subnational governments in one or more of the fields listed above; international experience will be an added advantage
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in multiple and multi-disciplinary teams in a highly dynamic, adaptive, and creative environment, often engaging directly with various project teams, ICLEI management, high level political leadership, academic and technical experts, the United Nations and other international organizations and the private sector on behalf of ICLEI
- Ability to produce technical reports, popular articles, communication, promotional and social media material, and to promote, enhance and expand the projects and partnerships he/she is involved in
- Innovative, passionate, and conscientious individual with a ‘can do’ attitude who can think on his/her feet and harness well-established networks to further build ICLEI’s good reputation and networks across sub-Saharan Africa and internationally
- Ability to work with, and keen interest in the role of innovation, technology, and digital media in facilitating and advancing city planning processes at the local and subnational levels, with a focus on mainstreaming nature and biodiversity considerations
- Strong inter-personal, organizational, and coordination skills and ability to work on both practical, hands-on activities and high-level strategic tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work across research, practical, technological, communications, and project domains
- Ability to manage various complex projects and the stakeholders simultaneously, adapt to changing circumstances and contexts, work with tight deadlines, thrive under pressure, and be comfortable with complexity and uncertainty
- Experience in web development, digital and social media, and communications and the associated ability to design and implement campaigns and projects related thereto, will be an added advantage
- Problem-solving and analytical skills, well-organised, attention to detail and quality, and a structured and pro-active working style
- Excellent written, presentation and verbal communication skills in English
- Valid code B driving license, with at least one year’s driving experience
- South African resident/valid work or critical skills permit
- Must have a passion for, and willingness to, travel extensively, locally and internationally;
- Knowledge of the African and global geo-political context
- Proficiency in another global language, especially French or Portuguese will be a strong added advantage
- Interest in continuous learning and professional development, and eagerness to grow within the company and team in an environment that actively supports and steers progress and encourages advancement in line with performance
Please forward a comprehensive CV and covering (motivating) letter, including a certified copy of your ID, available starting date and three references to Mellissa Moses ([email protected])
Application Deadline: 11h00 SAST on 14 October 2019