ICLEI–Local Governments for Sustainability is a global network of over 1 750 cities and other subnational governments committed to building a sustainable future. ICLEI provides technical services, capacity building, networking opportunities and cutting-edge urban solutions to its member cities and their communities.
ICLEI’s African Head Office, which serves ICLEI’s member cities from across Africa, is based in Cape Town (www.africa.iclei.org). ICLEI Africa invites suitably qualified individuals to apply for the position below, to join our African team of dynamic urban sustainability professionals.
Job Title: Professional Officer – Energy & Emissions Control
Job Location: Cape Town
The successful candidate must have a strong technical background related to energy and emissions control, in relation to the field of climate change mitigation. We are looking for someone to join our team to contribute strongly to the progression of our energy work on the continent; working with sub-national and national stakeholders to enable access to energy in African cities that is utilised efficiently and comes from renewable sources. Candidates, via their applications, should provide evidence of the following experience:
- Worked with stakeholders in Africa to develop policies and practices that promote energy efficiency, renewable energy and energy access. It will be advantageous if this experience is related to work at the local and/ or sub-national level, and if this experience includes a sub-focus on reducing emissions from the transport and building sectors.
- Planning, implementation and management of projects with proven experience of working in, and managing multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Stakeholder engagement, strategic partnerships, business development and acquisition, resource mobilisation and partnership development.
- Relevant Honours, Masters or PhD degree, or equivalent qualification.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience.
- Ability to produce technical reports, popular articles, promotional and social media material, and to promote, enhance and expand the projects and partnerships he/she is involved in.
- Innovative individual with a ‘can do’ attitude who can think on his/her feet and harness well-established networks to further build ICLEI’s good reputation and networks across Africa and internationally.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in multiple and multi-disciplinary teams in a highly dynamic and creative environment, often engaging directly with high level political leadership, academic and technical experts, the United Nations and other international organisations, as well as the private sector on behalf of ICLEI.
- Ability to be agile and flexible about work responsibilities and thrive under pressure.
- Problem-solving and analytical skills, well-organised, attention to detail and quality, and a structured and pro-active working style.
- Excellent written, presentation and verbal communication skills.
- Valid code B driving license, with at least one year’s driving experience.
- South African resident/ valid work or critical skills permit.
- Must have a passion for, and willingness to, travel extensively, locally and internationally.
- Knowledge of the African and global geo-political context.
- Proficiency in English and another global language, especially French, Portuguese and/ or Swahili will be a strong added advantage.
Please forward a comprehensive CV and covering (motivating) letter, including:
- a certified copy of your ID and/ or documentation indicating your ability to work in South Africa,
- available starting date, and
- three contactable references.
to Mellissa Moses ([email protected])
Application Deadline: Monday, 10 June, 2019