The Institute for Security Studies is a leading African organisation that enhances human security to enable sustainable development and economic prosperity in Africa. It works across the continent, doing authoritative research, providing expert policy advice and delivering practical training and technical assistance.
Job Title: Programme Officer
The purpose of the position is to provide financial and administrative services to the Justice and Violence Prevention (JVP) programme. The officer will support the Programme Head and Project Manager in all activities as per the ISS’s policies and procedures. A key function of this position is liaison and coordination with external stakeholders including programme partners and donors.
Reports to: Programme Head
- Assist in the design and implementation of programme and project administration systems and procedures in line with ISS policy
- Financial administration of programme and project budgets, including preparation, monitoring of expenditure, cash-flow forecasts, monitoring of exchange rates, approvals and preparation of financial reports
- Plan, prepare and execute all logistical arrangements relating to programme activities including event coordination, travel arrangements, monitoring and evaluation, and support to programme staff, interns and consultants
- Create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with ISS colleagues as well as external partners, senior government officials, donors and other partners
- Prepare consolidated narrative and financial reports for internal and external reporting
- General programme organisation and administration, minute-taking, accurate record keeping, and responding to mails on behalf of the programme
- BComm degree or equivalent, or a diploma in business or financial administration
- A qualification in project management will be advantageous
- At least 5 years’ experience as a project/programme administrator or coordinator
- At least 8 years’ experience at an executive administrative level
- Experience working with external partners, including senior government officials, donors and other partners
- Good knowledge of the ISS and areas covered by the programme
- Knowledge and understanding of results based management and reporting
- Excellent understanding of programme and financial administration
- Experience in grants management and reporting will be desirable
- Superior project management and coordination skills
- Exceptional skills in planning and organising events
- Ability to multi-task
- Strong financial skills relating to budgeting, expenditure monitoring and reporting
- Skilled in Microsoft packages including: MSWord, Advanced Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Internet
The length of the contract will be two and a half years, and may be renewed subject to programme requirements, funding and satisfactory performance. A competitive salary is offered.
Email your application to Rekha Valabh at [email protected]. Applicants must provide a cover letter and detailed CV. Those who applied for this position under the previous call need not reapply.
Application Deadline: Friday, 27 September, 2019