Established in 1951, International Organization for Migration (IOM) is the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners.
IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Job Title: Senior Finance Assistant for Regional Programmes
Location: IOM Regional Office in Pretoria
Vacancy/Reference Number: SVNSA2019/09
Remuniration: G-6 (UN Salary scale for General Service Employees in the Republic of South Africa)
Employment Type: Fixed Term, One year with possibility of extension
Reports to: Senior Regional Resource Management Officer
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Regional Resource Management Officer and direct supervision of the Resource Management Officer for Regional Programmes (RMO-RP), the incumbent will be responsible to support the Regional Office and Country Offices with regional programmes on Financial, Accounting, Internal Controls and Audits.
- In coordination with RMO-RP, provide support to Regional Program Managers and Senior Regional Resource Management Officer on financial management, budgetary, internal and external audits, procurement and logistics aspects of all Regional Programs in Southern Africa.
- Provide general support in the accounting, budget and financial related issues
- Responsible for the preparation and verification of financial transactions and reports from Implementing Partners and input of expenditures in the system in coordination with RMO-RP.
- Responsible for reconciliation of Implementing Partners’ reports and data entries of financial transactions from implementing partners in SAP (Computerized Integrated Accounting/HR/Procurement system customized to IOM).
- Provide support in monitoring the implementation of internal controls in accordance with the Organization’s established policies and procedures, including prevention of fraud and mismanagement in coordination with RMO-RP.
- Provide resource management support on internal and external audits
- Responsible for the preparation of financial reports, as needed and preparation of periodic regional financial reports and analysis of financial results in compliance with IOM and donor reporting standards.
- Verify invoices and ascertain that the equipment, supplies or services they refer to were duly received or provided before proceeding with payment request
- Responsible for coordination and follow-up on agreements and contracts with various service providers, suppliers and implementing partners in coordination with the Legal Department, Regional Office in Pretoria and/or concerned missions in Southern Africa;
- Monitoring budget versus actual expenditures in relation to the implementation of the regional projects s to ensure compliance with the Organization’s as well as donors’ financial rules & regulations; analyse variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures and bring to the attention of the supervisor any material discrepancies;
- Provide technical financial guidance and assistance to Offices with limited RM capacity including Swaziland, Botswana, Lesotho, Mauritius, Madagascar, Comoros and Namibia
- Participate in development and implementation of financial procedures and internal controls within the region.
- Provide general support to Resource Management team in the absence of other colleagues in the Unit;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University Degree in Finance, Accounting or related field of study with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) will be a distinct advantage.
- Solid experience on financial management with responsibilities for accounting, reporting, budget, audit, treasury and financial analysis;
- Solid experience with internal control assessment, internal and/or external/project audits;
- Knowledge of International Public-Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) is an advantage;
- Experience in computerized accounting systems (including SAP);
- High level of computer literacy (MS Office Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Fluency in English is a requirement.
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
- Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency:
- Maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Core Competencies
- Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results:
- Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
- Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Managerial Competencies
- Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: Creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. External and internal candidates are eligible to apply for this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first- tier candidates and will be given priority over external applicants if they meet the minimum requirements.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and obtains nationality ID or valid residency/work permit.
If you are qualified for this position, please send your letter of motivation, up-to-date Resume/CV, copy of ID and Complete IOM Personal History Form (which can be downloaded from this website: https://southafrica.iom.int/vacancy) to [email protected]
Application Deadline: Monday, 23 September, 2019