International Rivers envisions a world where healthy rivers and the rights of local communities are valued and protected. Since 1985, International Rivers has been at the heart of the global struggle to protect rivers and the rights of communities that depend on them.
Armed with on the ground evidence and cutting edge research, International Rivers mobilizes civil society and communities to advocate for improved river basin governance, transparent and accountable energy infrastructure, and human rights. We have been the driving force behind iconic campaigns to protect the world’s greatest rivers from harmful projects, and pioneered global policy solutions.
We are a global organisation with offices in the United States, Asia, South America and Africa. Our small and nimble team are leading effective campaigns in key regions and river basins around the world. Our work is guided by a five year organisational strategic plan, Our Rivers, Our Water Future, (2017-2022).
Job Title: Africa Programme Communications & Campaigner
Location: South Africa
About the Position:
The Africa Programme Communications & Campaigner position is primarily based in Pretoria, South Africa. The campaigner will work with the Africa Regional Director to design and implement communications and program activities. S/he will be expected to promote the work of the regional office and maintain strategic relations with partners. S/he will be a key member of the Africa team and organisation-wide programme team.
Considerable local, regional and international travel is required for this position. The Africa Program Communications & Campaigner reports to the Africa Program Director.
1. Media work and other communications:
- Design and implement a robust communications strategy to support regional and organisational programme work.
- Develop and maintain relationships with journalists in the Africa region.
- Conduct outreach to key journalists and influencers around key programme and organisational priorities.
- Maintain the digital presence of the Africa Programme (blogs, social media and web page) and support the digital presence of the organisation.
- Draft articles, opinion pieces, commentaries, blogs, reports and social media content on a regular basis and in response to relevant events.
2. Research and analysis:
- Research, monitor and analyze the strategies,
- Policies and projects of international dam builders and financiers for formulating key messages.
- In coordination with the Africa team and US-based communications director,
- Draft press releases and key messages;
- And develop positions on cross cutting topics relevant for International Rivers’ work. Monitor media (through emails, social media and web) and analyze how and whether messages are getting through to priority audiences.
3. Advocacy work:
- Support the Africa program in developing and implementing campaigns against destructive dams,
- promoting clean renewable energy, and realising the rights of dam-affected people.
- Carry out information dissemination for appropriate solutions to the continent’s water and energy needs.
4. Capacity building:
- Share information on our work with civil society groups and networks,
- Assist in publishing reports and fact-sheets,
- And help organize trainings and other workshops.
5. Fundraising and Budget:
- Assist the Africa Program Director in identifying and stewarding donor relationships,
- Prepare fundraising materials, including grant proposals and reports,
- And assist in the creation and management of program budgets.
Skills and Experience Required:
- Demonstrated background implementing effective communications and outreach plans for public interest campaigns;
- Knowledge and understanding of sustainability and human rights issues;
- Excellent research, writing and oral communication skills in English;
- At least three years’ experience in communication and advocacy;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Excellent social media and computer skills, including Word, Excel, and web savvy;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience required; Master’s degree a plus;
- French and/or Portuguese language skills are an added advantage; and
- Authorization to work in South Africa.
The salary range for the position is R288 000 – R384 000 per annum.
Applicants should have the legal right to work in South Africa.
Please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with a clearly marked subject line ‘AFRICA PROGRAM COMMS/CAMPAIGNS POSITION”.
Application Deadline: Thursday 12 December, 2019