ProBono.Org is a non-profit legal clearinghouse (with law clinic status) that seeks to appoint two legal interns on a fixed term contract.
ProBono.Org provides free legal services to vulnerable and marginalised clients and communities by sending cases to willing attorneys and advocates through its clearing house function.
It also runs various legal clinics and manages special projects focusing on particular vulnerable groups. One of these projects involves children that need legal representation.
Key responsibilities for this position:
- Interview people seeking legal assistance or anyone acting on their behalf;
- Assess matters in terms of the ProBono.Org criteria;
- Consult with ProBono.Org staff attorneys on the best strategy dealing with matters, such as direct assistance, litigation, mediation or another form of legal intervention;
- Prepare detailed briefs or memos for legal practitioners in matters that require pro bono legal assistance;
- Manage all matters from time of consultation until such matter is closed or referred to an attorney or advocate;
- Maintain, build and enhance strong relationships with NGOs, CBOs, law clinics and other pro bono and public interest law initiatives;
- Write reports on matters to be used as part of ProBono.Org’s reporting and communication functions, including Facebook and Twitter;
- Attend workshops and seminars on behalf of ProBono.Org;
- Facilitate community and attorney workshops on behalf of ProBono.Org; and
- Conduct research and handle other details in preparation of matters, where necessary.
Key competencies for this position:
- Demonstrated interest in human rights work, especially involving children and marginalised groups;
- Proactive attitude, with enthusiasm for ProBono.Org’s mission and vision;
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills; and
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
Qualifications and experience needed:
- An appropriate law qualification (LLB) with some practical experience
- Knowledge of SA’s socio-economic environment and how it impacts on justice
Remuneration: Commensurate with qualification and experience
To apply, please email a motivational letter, your CV with copies of qualifications and two contactable references to Admn.
Closing date: 11 July 2016
HOW TO APPLY
Click Here to SEND YOUR CV