Islamic Relief strives to alleviate suffering, hunger, illiteracy and diseases worldwide without regard to colour, race or creed and to provide aid in a compassionate and dignified manner.
Islamic Relief’s view is that relief, as important as it is, is only the beginning. Giving people the confidence to participate in their own development and to secure their own future without the need for continuing external assistance is the ultimate goal.
Job Title: Head of Department for Marketing and Communication
Location: Cape Town
Employment period: 6 months fixed term, with the view to permanent
Remuneration: R 420 000.00 – R 432 000.00 per annum
The purpose of the position is to provide strategic guidance and support to IRSA Management and BOD to ensure that the overall organisational objectives are achieved, to strengthen IR’s relations with the wider humanitarian and development community in the SA, in order to consolidate and develop the visibility and image of the organisation, to participate in the professional and systematic communication and cooperation between the different parts of the IR family to ensure maximum impact of the organisation’s work, to strategically develop sustainable funding relations with current and potential sponsors in SA. To lead on the development and implementation and regular review of the department’s strategy, work plans, and systems to achieve the agreed department objectives, and to lead, manage and develop staff in order to ensure that the department is capable of fully achieving agreed targets.
- To develop and implement an innovative and dynamic communications plan and strategy to meet the aims and objectives and the overall communications strategy of IRSA;
- Promote IRSA’s vision and key messaging to internal, external and all relevant stakeholders through a comprehensive and aligned communications strategy.
- To ensure IRSA has a clear, distinct and consistent brand and marketing strategy.
- Create and implement a proactive communications strategy, engaging the national, regional and local media across print, radio, television and online.
- To equip fundraising, other campaigns and departments with relevant and high-quality information and material to maximise effectiveness and key messaging.
- To play a lead role in the organisation’s active and positive participation in national networks dealing with humanitarian and development issues to ensure regular benchmarking on the communications function.
- To advise IRSA on how to respond to sensitive issues from a PR perspective and to protect the IR brand in conjunction with other relevant departments.
- To establish and oversee the implementation of effective policies on internal communication and knowledge management.
- The Department Manager is accountable to fulfil his or her roles and responsibilities in line with Islamic principles and to report to the IRSA CEO regularly and on the basis of annually defined key performance indicators (KPIs).
- As a senior manager, you will be providing divisional leadership and guidance by:
- Promoting IR’s vision, mission and values, acting as an IR role model.
- Contributing to IRSA’s wide decision-making and continuous learning, change and improvement processes.
- Contributing to the development and implementation of the overall organisational and IRSA strategy, key policies and processes.
- To strengthen external relations by actively engaging and networking with the wider humanitarian and development community and specifically by:
- Attending, participating and learning from conferences and other public forums;
- Representing IRSA and meaningfully engage with institutional donor agencies, umbrella organisations, networks and other key stakeholders.
- To communicate effectively and systematically across the organisation and actively support cross-organisational processes.
- To lead on the development, implementation and regular review of the department’s strategy, work plans, and systems that ensure:
- That the department continuously analyses and adapts to the risks and opportunities posed by IR’s changing environment;
- Strategic planning and management of the department’s work;
- Timely and efficient decision-making;
- Sound financial and resource management;
- Active and continuous learning and benchmarking within the department;
- Progress towards achieving the department’s objectives is monitored on the basis of KPIs, and all reporting requirements are adhered to;
- The development and utilisation of partnerships, networks, institutional relations and funding opportunities;
- The IRW and field structure is serviced consistently and adequately, and are able to fully utilise the department’s strategic guidance and technical support;
- The department is appropriately staffed to achieve its set objectives.
- All company HR, finance and accounts policies and procedures are adhered to by all departmental staff.
- To ensure that the Communication Department is:
- Driving forward a clear communications and marketing strategy and associated policies in line with supporter, IRW and field structure needs and requirements;
- Developed and managed in a way that minimises organisational risk;
- Responsive to the needs of other IR functions as and when required;
- Ultimately having a positive impact on the people and communities that IR works with and for;
- Keeping abreast of developments in communications and advising the relevant managers and staff accordingly;
- Overseeing all activities and strategies for branding and positioning issues for IRSA;
- Developing the visual identity of the organisation and ensuring consistency across all departments in accordance with IRW guidelines;
- Overseeing and producing media and communication material – publications, DVDs etc., ensuring that all productions meet high standards and are consistent with IRUK’s branding and visual identity;
- Identifying opportunities and implementing practices which will help raise the profile of the organisation and its work through PR and media campaigns/activities as well as supporting all other aspects of the organisation from a media and PR perspective;
- Maintaining a high and relevant level of media/PR within the national/ethnic media circuit;
- Developing and maintaining the IRSA website and intranet, ensuring both are effectively used for communication, marketing, promotion, educational and other purposes;
- Developing strategies to ensure optimal use of new media;
- To work towards best practice in internal communications;
- Supporting IRSA events and representing the organisation as and when required.
- To ensure staff performance, development and satisfaction in the department by:
- Managing positive employee relations;
- Effectively line managing and empowering the department’s staff
- Developing and maintaining a learning-conducive environment within the department;
- Monitoring and improving staff performance through regular one-to-one and department meetings; periodic reviews and appraisals; and the development and adherence to staff learning/development plans;
- Leading, facilitating and encouraging teamwork and communication;
- Ensuring that the department, volunteers and consultants operate in a safe and healthy work environment.
- Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- The incumbent should be focused and driven to meet the deadlines required by the organization. The environment is fast-paced and competitive. In order to be at the forefront of the humanitarian sector globally the role of the incumbent is to be forward-thinking and proactive and knowledgeable in this sector.
- Relevant Master’s degree or current application thereof.
- 5-6 years’ experience in a COMMUNICATIONS related environment in a senior role.
- The understanding of the humanitarian sector in order to understand its market.
- 2-3 years’ experience in a volunteer capacity would be advantageous.
- NGO: 1 year (Preferred)
If you fit the above requirements, are honest, reliable, service-oriented, resilient, self-motivated networker and have an aspiration of serving humanity with your talents, then this job is for you.
Please forward a copy of the completed application form (available on the website), 1-page motivational letter, all relevant certificates and your CV along with a certified copy of your ID to Islamic Relief SA, [email protected].
Application Deadline: Saturday, 31 August, 2019