JobStarter is a Not-for-Profit Company aimed at improving young people’s ability to take their first steps towards decent work. One-third of young people in South Africa are not in employment, education or training (NEET). To help address this, we believe the following structural barriers can be addressed in the medium term through a digital platform (https://jobstarter.co.za/). These include:
- Persistent information asymmetries that prevent young people from navigating their way towards opportunity;
- An inability of young people to flag work-readiness competencies without formal qualifications or experience; and
- The high cost of work seeking.
Targeted at young, engaged NEETS; JobStarter was designed as a low-cost, mobile platform with three core offerings:
- easily accessible and well-curated information for young people to take their next steps towards the labour market;
- work-readiness focussed e-learning; and
- a platform where opportunity providers can find young, local opportunity seekers.
Job Title: E-Learning Manager
Location: South Africa
- Develop, execute, and evaluate an e-learning strategy. The strategy must:
- Target young, engaged NEETs;
- Outline the optimal e-learning user journey for opportunity seekers; and
- Identify and outline modules that can increase the work-readiness of opportunity seekers and/or improve the probability of them securing opportunities;
- Work with industry experts and thought leaders to develop relevant e-learning curricula for modular learning.
- Quality checking of content for accuracy and relevance and load it onto the platform.
- Monitor and evaluate the appropriateness and effectiveness of all modules; revise and improve modules based on learning from the sector and evaluation.
- Leverage learnings and insights from the e-Learning strategy to improve the platform.
- As a minimum requirement, the candidate must have:
- a relevant graduate qualification – such as in the field of curriculum development, skills development, and/or community development.
- Five years of relevant work experience – preferably in developing instructional learning for adults. At least two of those years must have been spent leading a project, programme or unit.
- Preferably, the candidate:
- has experience developing e-learning content;
- has the ability to understand and leverage an online platform; and
- is fluent in at least two of South Africa’s official languages.
- The ideal candidate has the following attributes, they:
- have strong analytical abilities and are able to communicate verbally and in writing on complex issues;
- consider issues at a strategic level;
- are comfortable trouble-shooting challenges and developing solutions based on information;
- are excited to understand new theories of learning, methodologies and technologies to optimise e-learning;
- invite input across teams and collaborate with other people to execute strategies; and
- are able to self-manage within a start-up environment.
This is a 12 month, fixed-term, contract with possibility of renewal. Salary negotiable based on skills and experience. The position is based in Cape Town.
Please send your CV, a covering letter and three contactable references to [email protected]
When applying use “Application: E-Learning Manager” as the subject line of your email.
Application Deadline: 31 January 2020.