John Snow, Inc. (JSI) seeks a dynamic and highly motivated candidate for the HR Specialist position for a USAID-funded HIV Care and Treatment project in the City of Johannesburg, South Africa. The project is envisaged to run until 2021.The role will be a full-time position based in Pretoria, South Africa. The successful candidate will work under the direction of the Finance & Operations Manager to perform HR functions such as recruitment, leading staff engagement, ensuring timely performance reviews, advising leadership in sound employee relations, and promoting staff adherence to JSI HR policies, procedures and processes. Continuation of the role will be contingent upon project funding.
Job Title: Human Resources Specialist
Key Performance Areas:
- Actively pursue approaches to provide employees with an environment where they can fulfil JSI’s mission;
- Ensure the proper planning and implementation of recruitment, including JD development, position advertisements, shortlisting, interviewing, checking references, onboarding, orientation and retention;
- Organization of recruitment processes through guiding short-listing processes, screening of candidates, setting up and participation in interview panels as well as documentation processing for offers.
- In accordance with JSI policy, prepare salary calculations, offer letters, and employment contracts, and conduct preliminary job grading in a consistent manner for management review and approval;
- Lead staff orientation and induction activities by providing information on conditions of employment and entitlements and facilitating on-entry briefings and orientation programs.
- Support and maintain accurate HR documentation, databases and filing systems.
- Ensure accurate and timely compliance reporting;
- Liaise with employee benefits brokers to track medical aid expiry dates and follow up on renewals.
- Track and compile the project leave schedules including absence monitoring and recording and advising staff on leave provisions, attending to queries and reconciliations, and ensuring that they are current, up to date, and audit ready;
- Provide professional HR advice on staff performance management ensuring documentation of reviews and meeting of deadlines for contract renewal as needed.
- Review, disseminate, and ensure full compliance with HR policy guidelines and the country employee handbook in tandem with local labour laws, donor rules and regulations, and JSI’s Management & Accountability Framework and Code of Conduct;
- Provide advice on implementation and interpretation of JSI HR policies to inform adjustments and strategies in response to changes in donor or country rules and regulations.
- Ensure payroll details are accurate and submitted timeously to the payroll administrator monthly;
- Act as the operational point of contact for all project-related HR subcontracted services and ensure service excellence for the project;
- Focal point for employee relations, disciplinary issues, the employee assistance program, and employee health and safety;
- Stay abreast of regulatory developments and best practice, including the laws governing Labour Relations, Basic Conditions of Employment, Occupational Health & Safety, and Protection of Personal Information;
- Must be a team player to ensure collaboration and coordination of efforts; and perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or national diploma in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, or appropriate equivalent; degree will be a distinct advantage.
- At least five (5) years working experience in human resources operations; two (2) years with an international NGO will be a distinct advantage.
- Sound knowledge of South African HR context and practices;
- Highly professional and able to deal with sensitive and confidential matters;
- Excellent communication skills in English, especially the ability to write well and articulate complex policies and concepts in simple terms. Similar skills in other South African languages will be a distinct advantage;
- Experience in employee relations management, CCMA representation, and management of change;
- Demonstrable knowledge of donor rules and regulations as they relate to HR;
- Highly proficient in the Microsoft Office suite of products and using web-based applications;
- Must be a very well organised and deadline driven individual;
- Ability to perform under extreme pressure, exercise good judgement and take initiative in resolving problems;
- Demonstrable attention to detail, ability to interpret and implement procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively in a team environment in local and virtual offices;
- Demonstrable analysis and independent problem-solving capacity.
- Registration with a relevant SAQA accredited professional body;
- Excellent relationship building skills in a cross-cultural environment;
- Persuasion, networking and negotiation skills;
- Understanding of HR audit process; and
- Payroll knowledge
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume as directed below.
Via email (Specify on the Subject Line: Human Resources Specialist) to: [email protected]
Application Deadline: 12 October 2020 after which, it will be rolling for consideration until we find a suitable candidate.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you do not receive a response 30 days after the closing date, please consider your application as being unsuccessful. We take this opportunity to thank you for your application and your.
interest in JSI.