John Snow Inc. (JSI), a leader in global health, seeks a highly experienced candidate for an anticipated five year CDC-funded project in South Africa called the Strengthening Capacity of South African Department of Health and Implementing Partners to Deliver Quality Differentiated, Advanced Clinical Care for Unstable HIV and TB/HIV Patients in the Republic of South Africa Project (ACC). This position is contingent upon an award from CDC and the anticipated start date is September 30, 2019.
Job Title: Director: Finance and Operations (F&O) position
Job Location: Pretoria
This is a full-time position based in the Pretoria, South Africa office and will be filled by a local South African national.
S/he will be responsible for ensuring the project functions efficiently and effectively in all financial, administrative, operations, and contractual matters. S/he will ensure the project consistently and correctly implements sound financial, contractual, and administrative operations systems, and that project activities are implemented in compliance with the cooperative agreement award and with JSI policies. The Director of F&O will be a member of the project’s Senior Management Team and will work closely with all project staff to ensure compliance across all programmatic activities. The Director of F&O will report to the Chief of Party for the project.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide overall leadership to maintain a functioning and consistent organizational structure for the F&O team and identify and allocate staff and resources to provide the necessary support to project operations
- Liaise with USAID, subcontractors, and ACC staff on all issues related to finance, contracts, and administration
- Design, develop, modify, and maintain project financial, contractual, and administrative procedures, as well as systems and tools to support effective and compliant implementation of activities;
- Oversee the development, negotiation, and monitoring of subcontracts and contracts with partners and other collaborating organizations, including drafting of original subcontracts with major partners
- Oversee implementation and financial and operational management grant awards
- Oversee and review work plan budgeting, budget tracking, and financial communication/reporting processes and systems
- Develop approaches to contain costs, improve systems, and streamline financial management across the project
- Oversee project recruitment efforts, ensuring the right people are placed in the right positions to achieve project goals and oversee general human resource needs, including performance management
- Monitor activity implementation to ensure compliance and coordinate and foster sharing of information to establish consistency in practices
- Supervise and mentor a team of finance and operational staff
- A Masters degree in financial management, business administration, accounting or other relevant fields is required
- Excellent English language written and oral communications skills are required
- Demonstrated experience and skills in developing and managing large budgets is required
- At least 10 years of financial and administrative management experience in the field of international development, preferably in the health sector is highly desirable
- Previous work experience managing large projects and budgets especially with CDC funding is a plus
- A full time, South African national is preferred
- Familiarity with US Government financial reporting and compliance requirements for donor-funded projects will be an advantage
This is a local hire position with no expatriate benefits calling for applicants who are eligible to work in South Africa.
Closing Date for Applications: 8th October 2018. Submit applications via email (Specify on the Subject Line: Application for Director: Finance and Operations – ACC) to [email protected]
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you do not receive a response 30 day after the advert closing date, please consider your application as being unsuccessful.
We take this opportunity to thank you for your application and your interest in JSI.