Posted on :
16 Sep, 2010
J.P. Morgan is a global industry leader with more than $14.9 trillion in assets under custody and $6.6 trillion in assets under administration. We provide innovative custody, fund accounting and administration and securities services to the world’s largest institutional investors, alternative asset managers and debt and equity issuers. We leverage our scale and capabilities in more than 90 markets to help clients optimize efficiency, mitigate risk and enhance revenue through a broad range of investor services as well as securities clearance, collateral management and alternative investment services.
Investment administration is the core business of WSS and is central to J.P. Morgan’s global systems architecture. WSS provides investment managers, life companies, multi-manager, unit trust management companies and hedge funds with objective information emanating from the administration of their assets.
The South African branch of WSS has offices in Cape Town, employs more than 300 people and administers about $90 billion in assets. We handle more than 2,000 instruments, reconcile more than 400 bank accounts a day and process more than 550,000 settlement transactions a year. We produce daily Net Asset Value calculations, which form a key part of valuations, and serves as an independent control to the Unit Trust industry.
A combination of various middle office and fund accounting teams (Trade Confirm, Match and Settlement, NAV, Asset Servicing, Securities Lending, Cash Processing, Reconciliations, Client Reporting, Tax, etc) report to this position. All of the above support the asset manager clients.
Role Description and Responsibilities
· Direct report to one of two Senior Operations Managers (reporting to COO for WSS Cape Town)
· Responsible for management and oversight of designated functions including resource allocation , people development and operational strategy
· Manages and directs overall team activities and monitors progress
· Develops and implements operational plans, actions and programs in support of business objectives
· Drives client delivery culture
· Drive standardization and rationalization of effective and efficient processes and controls
· Identification and delivery of efficiency opportunities.
· Sustain quality and consistency of operational service, including handoff’s in the production life cycle
· Ensure consistent and high quality of service delivery to the clients
· Establish cross training mechanisms for sharing knowledge
· Development of direct reports and broader team, creating a culture of accountability
· Drive root cause analysis and remediation to create and sustain a culture of continuous improvement
· Ensure the overall risk and controls with the designated functions are strong and where improvements are necessary, that they are properly documented and delivered through the firm’s controls structures e.g. CSA.
· Deliver relevant operational framework in line with Strategic Project delivery
Essential Experience/Skills Required
5 years experience in financial services industry, preferably (but not necessarily) within the Asset management industry
Ability to work in a collaborative environment and build relationships across other groups in the trade life cycle
Change “able”- flexible and adapts to an evolving functional and systems model
Strong people management and development skills
Experience and understanding of back and middle office administration
Strong communication and influencing skills
Analytical and problem solving skills
Bachelors degree in commerce
· Post graduate qualification
Preference will be given to previously disadvantaged individuals and the appointment of the successful candidate will be made in accordance with the company’s employment equity objectives.
Job Operations Management
Primary LocationZA-WC-Cape Town
Organization Treasury & Securities Services
Job Type Standard
Shift Day Job
Employee Status Regular