JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (JSI), a Boston-based public health management firm dedicated to providing high quality technical and managerial assistance to public health programs throughout the United States and the low- and middle-income countries, is currently recruiting for aCompliance Officer for a USAID-funded voluntary male medical circumcision (VMMC) program in South Africa. The position is based in Pretoria with frequent travelling.
Job Title: Compliance Officer
Location: South Africa
Role Description and Purpose
The Compliance Officerwill report to Compliance Specialist and work closely with other Managers to ensure that project policies and processes are understood and consistently updated and correctly put into practice by all staff in the Pretoria HQ office and branch offices in Durban, Ulundi, Sedibeng and VMMC sites. The Compliance Officer will primarily serve as an internal auditor, ensuring that activities are properly implemented and supported by the finance and operations team with an emphasis on mitigating fraud at all levels of the project. S/he will provide support which includes, but is not limited to:
Key Performance Areas
- Assist in ensuring that policy and procedure manuals are up-to-date, issued and signed off on by staff (liaising with HR or other counterparts)
- Review, update and put into practice, fraud mitigation systems and policy at all project levels
- Assist in coordinating the roll out of any policy updates or process clarifications, including fraud prevention, operations, and finance policies
- Conduct trainings and/or technical assistance for staff in JSI policy, fraud and ethics reporting, finance and operations, donor rules and regulations
- Routinely travel to project offices to ensure that policies and procedures are understood and correctly practiced. Conduct random spot check verifications on program activities and finance and operations support.
- Review / spot check files in all project offices to ensure project documentation meets JSI and donor requirements
- Periodically assist in verifying payments to vendors, participants, and beneficiaries of the project to ensure policies and procedures are correctly practiced and no fraud has taken place
- Liaise with staff to identify any bottlenecks or process improvements possible within JSI policy
- Undertake other associated tasks and duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business or a related field.
- Minimum five years’ experience with fraud mitigation, internal auditing, and compliance of donor-funded projects.
- Minimum five years’ experience in financial management and/or operations on USG-funded projects at senior level.
- Ability to travel to project office and work sites, on short notice, to conduct random spot checks and verifications of activities and payments.
- Demonstrated experience with and knowledge of US Government rules and regulations in regard to contracts and procurement.
- Demonstrated competence to assess priorities and manage a variety of activities in a time-sensitive environment and meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to implement procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative and manage various activities in a team setting with minimal supervision.
- Strong time management/task prioritization skills.
- Experience with QuickBooks accounting system desired;
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Computer literacy required (especially Excel and Word).
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume as directed below.
Via email (Specify on the Subject Line: Compliance Officer to firstname.lastname@example.org)
Application Deadline: 16th January 2020