Care for Education (CFE) is a non-profit organisation and partner of the LEGO Foundation, providing training and educational resources for children, schools and organisations in need.
CFE aims to impact early childhood development and primary education, using concrete manipulatives which engage children in playful learning. Supporting equality, diversity and inclusion, CFE encourages applications from all sections of society, with a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in South Africa.
Job Title: Senior Education M&E + Learning Specialist (Foundation Phase)
Location: South Africa
CFE has a senior position available for an experienced Evidence Lead to monitor, evaluate, and document learnings. The successful candidate will join the Evidence Function to generate and share evidence that supports the importance and continuous improvement of learning through play implementation among parents, teachers, professionals, and governments. The role is specifically related to, but not limited to, the Foundation Phase Initiative. Supplying high-quality evidence, the role will help improve the programmes, optimising the changing of attitudes and behaviour towards learning through play.
Responsibilities will include:
- Development, refinement and facilitation of learning agenda and process to inform, iterate and improve planning and implementation of core work and projects including fast cycle iteration approaches and sharing and dissemination strategies.
- Development, refinement and implementation of project and organisational level monitoring, evaluation and learning systems including learning agenda and data collection processes.
- Report writing and utilisation of findings and lessons to contribute to the build test learn approach of the organisation.
- Map the academic/research field in South Africa to find, engage with and maintain connections with local academic stakeholders and non-academic entities and build a network of specialists to support our work. Buy-in and common language, networking, roundtable discussions, workshops.
- Gather relevant research from academic partners on Teacher Professional Development and help coordinate development of new research with academic partners. Create repository of info.
- Advise internal stakeholders on implementation and data collection.
- Development and management of request for proposals, research designs and implementation.
- Develop, implement and manage a knowledge management approach and system.
- Build internal capacity and capability to support MERL and reporting responsibilities.
- May be required to travel internationally and domestically.
- Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Education or Psychology with a research focus.
- Min. 5 years’ experience in Research and MEL in social development settings.
- Min. 3 years’ experience in Sub-Saharan African context related to interventions in ECD or education.
- Min. 5 years managing research projects/ service providers.
- Background in developmental psychology, social sciences ECD or teacher education.
- Demonstrable experience in data collection, management and analysis methods including quantitative, qualitative and/or mixed-methods of research and MEL approaches, evaluation and research methodologies with knowledge about educational assessments.
- Demonstrable experience in translating academic findings into implementation improvement.
- Experience in developing and measuring against an organizational ToC and measurement frameworks.
- Demonstrable experience in international donor reporting.
- Excellent English writing and speaking skills.
- A truly collaborative mindset, able to perform strong teamwork and collaboration.
- Interest in playful pedagogies, with the ability to take initiative and drive deliverables.
- Good listener and supportive of creating joint understandings.
- Flexibility in developing a fit for purpose measurement approach in a dynamic working culture.
- Experience in play-based interventions and their role in supporting development of holistic skills among children.
- Strong insight to Teacher Professional Development and proven experience evaluating these interventions (models. Coaching and Mentoring, Curriculum).
- Experience in pilot research, refinement and evaluation of MOOCs.
- Experience working with high-level stakeholders like Government, Academic Institutions and external Partners and Stakeholders.
- Leadership skills of smaller teams and strong project management skills
Interested? Do you meet the above requirements?
Apply with a CV and 2-page Cover Letter outlining suitability and 2 contactable references: to [email protected].
Application Deadline: 15th December 2020
We will only contact shortlisted candidates meeting the above requirements by January 2021.