The objective of this post is to ensure the smooth running of the teaching, research and other activities in the laboratory, manage the utilization of the Laboratory, and to provide specialized / highly developed scientific / technology assistance to academic staff and students
- Four (4) years practical experience with regard to laboratory technology or related duties.
- Hands-on experience in operating research equipment.
Knowledge, skills and capabilities
- Technical skills
- Interpersonal relations / People skills
- Client relationship management
- Computer literacy (MS Office)
- Communication skills
- Proficiency in English
- Initiative and discretion
- Specialized Laboratory Equipment / Techniques
- Occupational Health and Safety Regulations
- Broad knowledge of SA regulatory environment with regards to the use and care of laboratories and laboratory equipment
- Knowledge of the SA higher education regulatory environment
- Supervisory responsibilities
- Budget and Resource planning
- Office administration
- Experience as a Senior Analyst/Researcher.
- Certificated training in laboratory techniques.
- Preferably registration with relevant Council, e.g. HPCSA, SACNASP
- Research and benchmark national and international approaches and practises regarding rendering of technological support to the laboratories
- Ensure preparation of laboratory and equipment for technology instructional purposes
- Design laboratory technology-based experiments
- Operate sophisticated research and teaching technology
- Provide specialized technical / scientific assistance to academic staff and students
- Assist in the smooth running of practicals
- Oversee use of laboratories technology and related equipment
- Maintain all equipment and conditions of the Laboratory
- Monitor the status of stores (chemicals and / or other consumables)
- Enforce laboratory health and safety rules
- Determine the technology focus for the Laboratories given the tuition and research needs and the available facilities
- Prepare Laboratories for SANAS accreditation by developing and implementing a plan for the establishment, development and maintenance of specialized technology services in the Laboratories
- Develop policy and controls frameworks for the Laboratories
- Ensure development and maintenance of policies and procedures with regard to the maintenance
and utilization of the Laboratories
- Ensure the development and maintenance of registers/forms and the provision of equipment
required for the effective management of the Laboratories
- Maintain effective recording and reporting systems and processes for the Laboratories
- Ensure proper access control to the laboratories
- Perform scheduled and unscheduled audits of equipment and materials specimens
- Organize exhibitions and displays
- Assist with organization of field trips / excursions
- Schedule practicals, tutorials, tests and practical exams
- Manage laboratory bookings
- Communicate regularly with stakeholders and clients and build client relationships
- Present tutorials on research and / or use of laboratory equipment
- Discuss and provide advice on practical aspects of research with academics and students.
Salary : Remuneration is commensurate with the seniority of the position
Assumption of duty : As soon as possible
Enquiries : Ms M Botha (011) 471 3161 (e-mail: [email protected])
Closing Date : 14 March 2014 (Applications should reach UNISA before 16h00)
Unisa is not obliged to fill an advertised position
More Job Details:
- COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE AND ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES
- FLORIDA CAMPUS
- LABORATORY TECHNOLOGIST (2 POSITIONS) (P8)
- (Ref: CAES/MB/MJL/LAB TECHNOLOGIST/0102-2014)
Please complete the prescribed application form which is obtainable from www.unisa.ac.za (vacancies, application forms, permanent administrative or professional post)
Please attach ORIGINALLY certified copies of your ID, official statements of subjects and symbols, diploma and/or degree certificates conferred. Please include your CV.
Applications must be submitted in separate envelopes clearly marked with the name of the relevant College and/or Department, the position applied for and the reference number of the position. Applications must be posted to Unisa, HR Advisor, Calabash building, Room 352, Private Bag X6, Florida, 1710
Hand delivered application forms can be deposited into the application Calabash building, floor 3, in front of office 352.
Late, incomplete and incorrect applications will not be considered.
Appointments will be made in accordance with Unisa’s Employment Equity Plan and other applicable legislation
We welcome applications from Persons with Disabilities
Correspondence will be limited to short-listed candidates only. If you have not been contacted within two months after closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was not successful.