Lawyers against Abuse (LvA) is an NGO that works to strengthen the justice system’s response to gender-based violence (GBV) by providing legal services and therapy to victims, engaging with local state actors, and empowering communities. LvA has operated a walk-in Centre in Diepsloot since 2014 and is now expanding to the community of Orange Farm.
Job Title: Senior Legal Officer
Location: Orange Farm, Johannesburg
Contract: Full-time basis
Start Date: As soon as possible.
Remuneration: Negotiable, based on experience and qualifications.
- Implement LvA intervention in Orange Farm, including establishing necessary stakeholder relationships and delivering on key programmatic objectives.
- Provide comprehensive support in criminal cases including court support and regular engagement with police, prosecutors and other court personnel to ensure the law is being applied accurately and effectively.
- Assist clients in obtaining protection orders including the initial application, advising on submission and service, and supporting clients through final hearing.
- Provide general legal advice and make referrals to other service providers as needed.
- Work closely with LvA’s partners to implement integrated services model.
- Engage with local state actors and community stakeholders as needed for purposes of relationship strengthening, accountability, and capacity building as needed.
- Supervise Junior Legal Officer.
- Maintain client files.
- Write reports and other documentation.
Qualifications and Experience:
- LLB degree required.
- Experience providing direct legal services within a community-based setting.
- Experience working with victims of gender-based violence or other vulnerable populations.
- Strong understanding of women’s rights and issues around gender-based violence.
- Project management and implementation experience, including managing junior staff.
- Fluency in isiZulu, Sepedi and/or Tshivenda.
- High levels of flexibility, strong leadership skills, a clear sense of purpose, and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently, both individually and in a team.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to exercise discretion and maintain the confidentiality required.
- Strong computer skills, especially with Microsoft Office suite.
Submit your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: Friday, 13 November, 2020