Lawyers against Abuse (LvA) is an NGO based in Diepsloot, an informal settlement in northern Johannesburg. They provide integrated direct legal and psychosocial services to victims of gender-based violence (GBV), which includes sexual violence, domestic violence and child abuse.
LvA also works closely with local state actors and other community-based organisations to address broader systemic issues that lead to violence and allow it to persist.
Job Title: Social Worker
Location: Diepsloot, Johannesburg.
Employment Type: On a full-time basis on a fixed-term contract from 1 June – 15 October 2020
Start Date: 1 June 2020
Remuneration: Negotiable, based on experience and qualifications.
- Facilitate individual and group therapy sessions for LvA clients
- Work closely with LvA’s legal team to implement integrated services model
- Build and maintain relationships with partner organisations and other stakeholders
- Facilitate case management of clients as needed
- Support development and facilitation of GBV workshops as needed
- Write reports and update client database
- Degree in Social Work required
- Current SACSSP registration
- Experience working therapeutically with trauma and/or gender-based violence and/or other vulnerable populations in both individual and group settings
- Experience working with children, adolescents, adults and families
- Minimum of three years’ community-based work experience; work in informal settlements highly preferred
- Competencies required:
- Fluency in isiZulu, Sepedi and/or Tshivenda
- High levels of flexibility, strong leadership skills and a clear sense of purpose
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently, both individually and in a team
- Strong writing skills
- Ability to exercise discretion and maintain the confidentiality required
- Strong computer skills, especially with Microsoft Office suite
Interested applicants should submit a CV and motivation letter to [email protected].
Application Deadline: Friday, 1 May, 2020