Lawyers against Abuse (LvA) is an NGO based in Diepsloot, an informal settlement in the northern part of Johannesburg. We provide direct legal and psychosocial services to victims of gender-based violence (GBV), including sexual violence, domestic violence, and child abuse. LvA works closely with local state actors, including police officers, prosecutors, clerks, magistrates, and government health officials. LvA is also involved in empowerment-based community engagement initiatives school and community workshops.
Job Title: Senior Social Worker
Job Location: Diepsloot, Johannesburg
Start Date: 1 August 2018
Salary: Negotiable, based on experience and qualifications
- Facilitate individual and group therapy sessions for LvA clients
- Work closely with LvA’s legal team to implement integrated services model
- Build and maintain relationships with partner organisations and other stakeholders
- Facilitate case management of clients as needed
- Oversee all initiatives under LvA’s Psychosocial Programme
- Supervise student therapists
- Support development and facilitation of GBV workshops as needed
- Write reports and update database
- Master’s degree in Social Work required
- Current SACSSP registration
- Experience working therapeutically with trauma and/or gender-based violence and/or other vulnerable populations in both individual and group settings
- Experience working with children, adolescents, adults and families
- Experience in child protection services
- Minimum of three years’ community-based work experience; work in informal settlements highly preferred
- Strong project management experience
- Fluency in isiZulu, Sepedi and/or Tshivenda
- High levels of flexibility, strong leadership skills and a clear sense of purpose
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently, both individually and in a team
- Strong writing skills
- Ability to independently manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to exercise discretion and maintain the confidentiality required
- Strong computer skills, especially with Microsoft Office suite
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to [email protected]
Late applications will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
LvA reserves the right to not hire for this position should no suitable candidates apply.
Application Deadline: 25th July, 2018