Established in 1989, Learn to Earn is a skills development organisation, comprising of an NPO and a PTY, which develops unemployed people, socially, economically, emotionally and spiritually, irrespective of race, ethnicity and religion. Our vision is ‘to eradicate unemployment and other legacies of injustice in South Africa and Africa’. Our basis for human-scale development is based on restorative justice. Through providing a programme that recognizes human dignity and the human right to live a meaningful life, we aim to assist individuals with the restoration of their self-respect. We do this by empowering them to provide for themselves and for their families.
Ground UP (GU) has three aspects a Barista and Technical Training Academy (GUA & GUT)- part of the NPO – and Ground UP Business (GUB) a Social Enterprise operating as a division of Learn to Earn Development Enterprise (Pty) Ltd. GUB’s income generating activities which includes entrepreneurial activity and in demand Mobile Barista units geared to service various events across the Western Cape. It also offers the opportunity for practical business skills and mentoring for running one of the Ground UP Mobile units.
Job Title: Business / Project Manager
Location: Cape Town
Please read the advert carefully. Do not apply if you do not have the minimum requirements. Correspondence will not be entered into.
- Implement the vision, mission and philosophy of ministry of LtE through the development of entrepreneurs within the GU Business (GUB) social enterprise. This will require the formalisation and development of the model based on a social enterprise approach.
- Oversee the successful implementation of the social enterprise and ensure all structures, policies, processes, procedures and the mentoring occur successfully, resulting in the profitability of GUB trading and Technical Units, whether in the form of service agreements, trailers, corporate solutions or GU Express Cafés.
- Manage all logistical matters pertaining to GUB Trading and Technical Units; ensuring excellence, consistency, and reliability of service.
- Manage sales, sales targets, budgets and growth through new business opportunities.
- Report to the Director of Learn to Earn Development Enterprise (PTY) Ltd. on all operational, financial and strategic matters.
- Provide input to Media and PR department in relation to all branding and marketing material (visual and printed).
- Meet on a regular basis with the Management team to plan and pray together concerning strategy for LtE, particularly the GUB and the synergy with the GUA & GUT.
- Strategic planning, development and implementation of the LtE Ground UP Business in Cape Town.
- Lead the implementation and the ongoing development of the GUB while working closely with GUA and GUT to ensure a pipeline of potential opportunities and keeping current with best practice methodologies and processes regarding coffee, coffee making and the industry trends.
- Liaise with and support the Donor Developer and Resource and Partnership Developer on funding and partnering opportunities.
- Knowledge of the coffee industry and business or at the very least have the acumen and ability to quickly come up to speed with the industry, and concepts.
- Should be driven and adaptable, as the position initially will require a lot of time and input beyond normal working hours. This includes early mornings and weekend work related to events or functions.
- Ability to lead, work with, manage and guide people from diverse backgrounds and educational levels.
- It would be advantageous to have competency as a barista in your own right so you are able to troubleshoot and be relieve staff.
- Have acute attention to detail, are practical and solution driven, especially when working on events and troubleshooting the issues that periodically arise.
- Have a valid driver’s license code (EB minimum) and experience in towing trailers, in particular must be able to reverse with a trailer.
- It would be advantageous to have basic mechanical skills as well- work with tools
- Willingness to travel in and around Cape Town, therefore own transport and a valid South African driver’s license are therefore requirements of this job role
Learn to Earn (LtE) is a registered Christian skills development organization which seeks to develop people, especially unemployed people, socially, economically, emotionally and spiritually.
As such this a team ministry and the following will also be required in addition to the above:
- Participate in weekly staff devotions and prayer meetings.
- Participate in the employer’s Annual Staff Retreat, we go away together for a weekend to restore and refresh spiritually.
- Participate in the employer’s Annual Report Back Meeting and other FR Events, this may occur over weekends or in the evenings after normal working hours.
- Be co-responsible for the continued development of the employer.
- Endorse and promote the employer’s Statement of Faith, Commitment, Vision and Mission Statements and Statement of Principles.
- Further to this, it imperative that the incumbent ascribes to the organisation’s vision, mission, principles of faith and be an active member of an evangelical church.
- Outside of the employees above responsibilities the employee will be expected to do things that fall outside of the ambit of their job description, including but not limited to sweeping, cleaning, covering for and helping other staff. This is a team ministry.
Should you meet the requirements and have the necessary experience and understand the job requirements and wish to apply, please do so in writing with:
- Covering letter: In your covering letter please indicate your current and required salary, your mobility to travel between branches and notice period with your current employer, if any. It should also include your faith journey.
- CV (no more than 5 pages) with 3 contactable references, (please exclude sending certificates).
- Letter from your church pastor or small group leader regarding your church membership and activity.
- Email to: i[email protected], with the subject line: Vacancy: Business Manager [your name here]
Should you not have received a response within 4 weeks after the closing date, please consider your application to be unsuccessful. We reserve the right to enter into correspondence in this regard. This advertisement has the minimum requirements listed. Management reserves the right to use additional, relevant information as criteria for short-listing.
Application Deadline: Wednesday, 30 September, 2020