Established in 1989, Learn to Earn is a skills development organisation, comprising of an NPO and a PTY, which develops unemployed people, socially, economically, emotionally and spiritually, irrespective of race, ethnicity and religion.
Our vision is ‘to eradicate unemployment and other legacies of injustice in South Africa and Africa’. Our basis for human-scale development is based on restorative justice. Through providing a programme that recognizes human dignity and the human right to live a meaningful life, we aim to assist individuals with the restoration of their self-respect. We do this by empowering them to provide for themselves and for their families.
Ground UP (GU) has three aspects – a Barista and Technical Training Academy (GUA & GUT)- part of the NPO – and Ground UP Business (GUB) – a Social Enterprise operating as a division of Learn to Earn Development Enterprise (Pty) Ltd. GUB’s income generating activities which includes entrepreneurial activity and in demand Mobile Barista units geared to service various events across the Western Cape. It also offers the opportunity for practical business skills and mentoring for running one of the Ground UP Mobile units.
Job Title: Coffee Machine Service Technical Trainer
Location: Cape Town
- Preferably 2 years of experience as a Coffee Machine Service Technician / Trainer, with proven servicing and maintenance experience in the Commercial Coffee Machine Repair Industry, including troubleshooting, servicing and repairs, reflected in qualifications and achievements attained within the industry, or
- A candidate with comparable skills from the following industries will be considered: Electrical, Instrumentation, HVAC, automotive or motorcycle repairs, with previous experience, especially if within the coffee and training industries would be advantageous.
- Completed Barista training will be an added advantage.
- Train unemployed persons, from diverse contexts, in technical service and maintenance of various makes of commercial coffee machines and grinders using various methods (practical and theory), distinguishing between proactive and reactive maintenance, identifying the tools and parts needed for various repairs, as well as troubleshooting, setup and commissioning of machines.
- Assess the competency of students against expected standards and in accordance with outcomes for the various modules of the training course.
- Recommend new methods and procedures to enhance current and future training strategies
- Schedule and perform in-house repairs and maintenance on existing equipment in GUB & GUA
- Implement and maintain good health and safety standards
- Take responsibility for working inventory for training and in-house repairs
- Maintain good hygiene, cleanliness and equipment care
Key attributes and skills required:
- Good experience in the coffee industry and an appreciation for coffee would be beneficial.
- Develop and implement new training systems based on the vision and goals set by the organisation.
- Mechanical and technical aptitude, troubleshooting skills and attention to detail.
- Capacity to understand the variety of commercial machines and grinders
- Training and facilitation skills
- Personable, outgoing, energetic, organized, reliable and a person of integrity
- Must have reliable transportation and a valid Driver’s License (code B minimum)
- Physically able to lift moderately weighted equipment, bend, kneel, flex and standing for extended periods of time
- Be solution orientated and have good time management skills
- Ability to work under pressure, as part of a team and independently as and when needed
- Computer literate (Office Suite, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Good intercultural communication and interpersonal skills
- Sound practical experience and understanding of industrial machinery and equipment, electronics and circuitry, plumbing and water filters, tools (maintenance and handling).
Learn to Earn (LtE) is a registered Christian skills development organization which seeks to develop people, especially unemployed people, socially, economically, emotionally and spiritually. As such this a team ministry and the following will also be required in addition to the above:
- Participate, contribute and engage in weekly staff devotions and prayer meetings.
- To participate in the employer’s Annual Staff Retreat. We go away together to do staff development and spiritual growth seminars.
- To participate in the employer’s Annual Report Back Meetings and other organisational functions (awareness and fundraisers) which may be after hours during the week or weekends.
- To be co-responsible for the continued development of the employer.
- To promote the employer and obtain financial support thereof.
- Further to this, it imperative that the incumbent ascribes to the organisation’s vision, mission, principles of faith and be an active member of an evangelical church.
- Outside of the employee’s above responsibilities the employee will be expected to do things that fall outside of the ambit of their job description, such as sweeping, cleaning, covering for and helping other staff. This is a team ministry
Should you meet the requirements and have the necessary experience and understand the job requirements and wish to apply, please do so in writing with:
- Covering letter: In your covering letter please indicate your current and required salary, your mobility to travel between branches and notice period with your current employer, if any. It should also include your faith journey.
- CV (no more than 5 pages) with 3 contactable references, (please exclude sending certificates).
- Letter from your church pastor or small group leader regarding your church membership and activity.
- Email to: [email protected], with the subject line: Vacancy: GUT Technical Skills [your name here]
Application Deadline: Wednesday, 30 September, 2020