to play a key role in providing legal
and compliance advisory role within Ashburton Investments.
experience and qualifications
- The successful candidate must have a Postgraduate degree in Law. Qualified as an attorney or advocate is essential.
- 3 years’ experience as a legal counsel/advisor in the financial services industry, preferably in an asset manager business and/or investment banking or 3 years’ PQE in a Banking and Finance team in a law firm.
- Knowledge of and experience in complex commercial transactions
- Legal risk management pertaining to legal credit issues within all the applicable credit risk matters.
- Managing client expectations, deadlines and project delivery appropriately.
- Collaborating across teams, departments, intellectually rigorous environment.
- A good understanding of the legislation governing the investment management industry (financial services), with a minimum of 3 years of legal experience.
- A background in funds management, investment research or new product development in financial services industry will be an added benefit.
- Prior experience and knowledge of the non-traditional asset world (Hedge funds, private equity, credit originated funds, etc).
- Collective Investments schemes Control Act, including CISCA Board Notice 90
- Pension Funds Act (including Regulation 28), a good understanding of provident and pension funds rules
- Understanding of Companies Act and company secretarial governance
- ASISA codes and standards
- Treating Customers Fairly and Market Conduct legislation
- Long Term Insurance Act
- Hedge Funds
- Private Equity Funds
- Structured products
- Exchange Traded Products
- Knowledge of a broad spectrum of regulatory requirements
- Your role is drafting of agreements, such as Portfolio Management Agreements, ISDA, CSA, GMRA, ISLA, Executing Broker Agreements;
- You will also be vetting/drafting and negotiating Loan Agreements and other Security/Collateral documentation based on AMLA/LMA and non-standard legal documentation comprising of but not limited to Common Terms Agreement, Preference Shares Agreements, Enforcement Rights Agreements, Sale of Business Agreements, Sale of Shares Agreements, Partnership Agreements for Private Equity Firms (including hedge funds)
- You will be providing legal advice and drafting legal documentation in regards various non-traditional asset classes such as hedge funds, private equity, credit originated funds etc
- Ensuring effective implementation by business of existing and emerging legislation
- Drafting and negotiating terms of business with independent financial advisors;