Open Secrets is a newly established nonprofit organization working on issues of economic crime and the link to human rights with a focus on the financial sector in Southern Africa. Open Secrets uses research advocacy and the law to hold people and institution who abuse power to account.
Open Secrets seeks to appoint a legal and research intern to be based at Community House in Salt River, Cape Town.
Duration: Six months from 1 April 2018 (exact start date negotiable)
- Undertake research on historic and contemporary economic crime in South Africa
- Legal research and analysis
- Read, summaries and archive related books, articles, and documents
- Write reports as well as related occasional articles for our website and social media platforms
- Assist in managing advocacy and media (including social media) around Open Secrets investigations and litigation
- Collaborate with our partners in civil society
- A committed team player with a strong work ethic and a commitment to social justice issues, integrity and collaboration
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong research and writing skills
- Studies in a related field (law, politics, history, economics, etc.) are preferable. This position requires a legal background
- Strong command of basic Microsoft Office programmes (Word, Excel, etc.)
- Interest and engagement in social media for activism
- Historically disadvantaged applicants are encouraged to apply
Closing date: Wednesday, 14 March 2018
To apply, submit a CV, a copy of relevant qualifications, copy of an unedited written work and contact details of at least one referee to [email protected]
Location: Cape Town
This is envisaged as a full-time position but could be structured as a part-time commitment.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified of the outcome of the application process.