Lushomo helps organisations do good with data – combining research, data and design, with the aim of making information accessible, interesting and enjoyable to those engaging with it. Most of our clients are inter-governmental organisations working in the environment, health and development fields.
Ideally you also have an interest in health and the environment, as you’ll get more out of the job, and we will be able to involve you in the information design to a greater extent. We are looking for an organised, detail-oriented designer to join our team. We are open to full-time or part-time candidates, depending on the team fit.
Job Title: Graphic Designer Extraordinaire
Job Location: Sea-Point, Cape Town
This job involves laying out reports, creating infographics (from scratch or manipulating stock images and icons), creating great look-and-feels and mock-ups (for editorial publication materials), and producing banners/flyers/reports etc. (for web and print). Although we are primarily looking for a graphic designer, our jobs cover a wide range of areas, including augmented reality, web development and animation – so the ideal candidate would have a wide range of skills and interests.
- Bachelor’s degree/graphic design certificate/equivalent work experience
- Strong diverse portfolio of work
- Minimum three to five years’ work experience
- Fine arts background/illustration ability (portfolio of drawings/illustrations)
- Ideally, you have have worked in the non-profit world or are otherwise interested in health, environment and development, and in using your powers for good.
- Ideally, you have a background/interest in the sciences, numbers or statistics, information design and data visualisation.
If you think you’re a good fit for our team, let us know why. We look forward to hearing from you!
- You are a thinker and a designer – in some cases, you will be asked to manage a project from developing appropriate look-and-feels to client handover
- Highly proficient in Adobe Illustrator and InDesign – as well as Photoshop, Word and PowerPoint on Mac and Windows
- Understands how to move between creative programs
- Able to design for print and digital
- Able to manipulate stock images
- Specific to InDesign: Skilled DTP, including proficiency in creating and working with mastersheets, styles, automated contents pages and footnotes
- Able to create icons and recreate graphs following a chosen look-and-feel
- Able to work from wireframes
- Able to source references that are appropriate for the project and vision
- Understands how to read and interpret a range of graphs (bars, line, scatter, pie) and flow charts
- Capable of working in a team, often under tight deadlines, including with other designers working remotely
- Organised – including in the management of files, version control, etc.
- An understanding of modern web principles and user experience
- WordPress experience
- Ideally, experience with animation and video editing (Premiere Pro/After Effects)
To apply, please send your CV, cover letter and samples of your work that you think are relevant to [email protected]. For more information, visit www.lushomo.net.
Application Deadline: Sunday, 30 June, 2019