Posted on :
17 Dec, 2014
17 Dec, 2014
Murray & Roberts Projects invite suitably qualified candidates to apply for the position of Mechanical Engineer for the Kusile Project reporting to the Operations Manager. The project entails the building of 6 x 780 MW Coal Fired Super Critical Boiler for the coal fired Kusile Power Station to be erected at the Kusile Site at Mpumalanga ,Witbank, South Africa.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
Provide technical input to Tenderer’s enquiries in co-ordination with the Procurement Department during the Tendering phase on Technical Packages as well as supplying engineering support to Procurement in other areas as required. Provide technical adjudication of tenders. Evaluate the Tenderer’s proposal and check the conformity to the Project requirements and make recommendations accordingly.
Key Responsibilities The successful candidate’s responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
1. Compile technical specification and data and scope of work for Technical Packages to be all inclusive, where relevant in relation with the Project Requirements, Client Requirements, and Codes & Standards and Division of Works documentation of MRP.
2. Provide technical input to Tenderer’s enquiries in co-ordination with the Procurement Department during the Tendering phase on Technical Packages as well as supplying engineering support to Procurement in other areas as required.
3. Provide technical adjudication of tenders. Evaluate the Tenderer’s proposal and check the conformity to the Project requirements and make recommendations accordingly.
4. In general, review all relevant engineering services and equipment in area of responsibility to ensure that MRP complies with all existing South African legislation, Health and Safety Regulations as well as to Kusile Site requirements.
5. Review of Subcontractor’s technical submittals during execution of subcontract.
6. Updating of Technical Documents at contract award stage.
7. Interface with subcontractors and client in support to Package Owner – co-coordinating and follow up on activities such as clarification of Technical Specifications as well as client requirements, site requirements, site establishment, plant interfacing, installation schedules, deliveries to site, off loading, storage, installation of equipment, site access, availability of temporary power and other services.
8. Interface with subcontractors on work performed on Site pertaining to Site Establishment and temporary facilities e.g. Storm water control, Welding Workshop, Fuel facility etc. and take necessary steps for corrective action where required.
9. Identify design and interface problems or omissions in area of responsibility and take appropriate action to rectify them.
10. Identifying and analyzing for follow-up incoming new as well as updated client documentation such as engineering drawings, specifications and site requirements where relevant to engineering packages and other areas of involvement and responsibility.
11. Ensuring that new client drawings and specifications as well as updated revisions of existing documents get issued to relevant contractors and vendors within area of responsibility.
12. Study and understand the clients’ Site requirements, rules, regulations and specifications as well as industry standards such as SANS, ISO, and the OHSE Act and Regulations – ensure compliance in area of responsibility.
13. Interface with the client, raising RFIs’ (Request For Information) and follow up with client on outstanding information on packages and other relevant areas. – e-mails, one-to-one discussions, meetings etc.
14. Assist the Document Control Department where required in the preparation of the engineering drawings for the Work Packages to ensure compliance to all aspects of the clients’ requirements before releasing the work Packages to the QC Department for implementation.
15. Provide ongoing engineering support to MRP as required on the Kusile Power Project.
16. Interface with MRP Engineering at Head Office to transfer detail engineering from Medupi Power Project to Kusile Power Project and to identify and fill any gaps.
17. Coach Junior Engineers
18. Track RFI’s and SEQ’s and expediting as needed
19. Provide technical management and oversight of Erection Aids
20. Liaise with Structural Engineers and relevant Area Managers and verify rigging practices where required.
21. Checking, rectifying and approving Rigging Studies (drawings) on behalf of the Engineering Department.
Key Requirements Suitable candidates must have the following work experience:
1. Ten years experience in an EPC engineering and industrial environment with good technical capability as a Project Engineer involved in diversified disciplines.
2. Five years experience in a construction environment
3. Good experience and understanding in utilizing an EDMS (Electronic Data management System) for document control. Experience with SPF (Smart Plant Foundation) would be advantageous.
4. Good experience and understanding in utilizing Company EDMS (Electronic Data Management System), the ability to define SOW, compile Technical Specifications and Package Documentation for RFTs’, tender and bid clarifications, tender adjudications, interact with tenderers before and after award of contracts – reviewing vendor documentation and drawings and take appropriate follow up action.
Education Suitable candidates must possess the following minimum qualifications and skills:
1. A relevant Engineering Degree / Diploma in the Mechanical Field
1. Have an understanding of effective Team Communication with co-workers in all levels of the organization
2. Positive attitude and co-operative
3. Good planning ability – setting accurate target dates and activity directions
4. Pro-active self-starter taking initiative and ownership
5. Ability to get things done
6. Sound Judgment – both technical and project general
7. Good problem solving abilities
8. Ability to co-ordinate and build relationships
9. Know and apply best practices – codes and standards
10. Help, support and encourage co-workers
11. Conduct business affairs with the highest standards of ethics and integrity
12. Work within the spirit of the company Code of Conduct and other company policies
13. Strive to achieve and continuously improve customer satisfaction
14. Capable of providing quality information to Engineering Manager for decision making
15. Willing to follow and establish company business and management procedures
16. Capable to mentor Junior Engineers
How to Apply
Close Date: 2014/12/24
Location Witbank – Kusile Site
Nature of Employment Limited Duration Contract Employee
Please note that:
1. The Recruiter may amend, delete or expire jobs at any time without notification.
2. Murray & Roberts Projects reserves the right not to proceed with filling the position.
3. An application will not in itself entitle the applicant to an interview.
4. If you do not receive any feedback on your application within 4 weeks from the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
5. Please note that the suitable candidate must be willing to be re-assigned to Medupi Power Project in Ellisras , Limpopo, if operational requirements should deem it necessary.