Place within the organisation:
- The successful candidate will report to the Donor Development Coordinator and work closely with the Head of Fundraising, Donor Development Coordinator, Database Coordinator and other members of the Fundraising team.
- This position is intended to support the scaling up of corporate, trust, foundation, embassy and major donor fundraising by providing assistance with prospect research, screening and the development and implementation of initial approaches, including working with the fundraising database and ensuring that records and reporting are accurate and usable.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Research South African companies, trusts, foundations, institutions (embassies) and major donors using general awareness, online research, media and internal information,
- Research and screening of identified high-potential donors,
- Working with the database to complete tasks such as data capturing, research and tracking,
- Work with Donor Development Coordinator to identify key high-potential prospects and to develop and implement initial approaches,
- Keep detailed record (including using CiviCRM database) of all prospecting activities and prepare reports for use by other members of the fundraising team,
- Track developments in the CSI sector, HNWI research and specific industries and prepare weekly bulletins for fundraising team,
- Assist in preparing materials and events for corporate and major donor fundraising,
- Assist the fundraising team in planning and implementing other fundraising activities, including collaborating with other units as required.
- This position is open to candidates who have the necessary skills/knowledge and are interested in gaining experience in fundraising. Preference will be given to candidates who have recently completed their undergraduate or post-graduate studies and need work experience.
- Bachelor’s or post-graduate degree. Degree related to marketing, communications or development studies preferred.
Skills and abilities:
- Excellent computer skills, experience of working with databases preferred.
- Research experience, including desktop research.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Organised, detail-oriented and able to work systematically.
- Experience in or commitment to humanitarian/development work.
- Interest in fundraising.
- Able to work independently and with minimal supervision.
All applications should be sent to [email protected] with the subject line: ‘Fundraising internship application’ no later than 21st July 2014. Please include your CV and a letter of motivation.
Note: This is an unpaid internship but a stipend for transport and meal costs is available.
Job type: Office vacancies