mothers2mothers (m2m) is an Africa-based global health not-for-profit organisation committed to eliminating the transmission of HIV from mothers to babies, and creating healthy futures for mothers, their families, and communities. m2m’s peer-based Mentor Mother model has proven effective in improving the health of women and their children, reducing mother-to-child HIV transmission rates, and generating significant savings on HIV treatment costs, while empowering HIV-positive women through training and employment. Since its founding almost 15 years ago, Mentor Mothers have reached more than 1.3 million HIV-positive mothers in nine countries in sub-Saharan Africa. The m2m model has been identified as a key strategy in the United Nations Global Plan to eliminate pediatric AIDS and promote healthy motherhood. Join us by visiting www.m2m.org or follow us @m2mtweets
Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator
Job Location: Cape Town
m2m is recruiting for a Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator. The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Coordinator is responsible for coordinating all aspects of the m2m M&E activities, including establishing and maintaining site level data quality and data management; overseeing routine data collection, entry, analysis, reporting and filing; building capacity of site level and provincial program staff on data use for decision making and use of electronic tools; working with provincial partners; and donor reporting, including adaptation of tools to facilitate reporting on required indicators. The M&E Coordinator will work closely with members of the program team to support data-driven program performance monitoring and improvement efforts.
The position will be based in Cape Town, South Africa, and reports to the Senior Programme Manager.
Key Performance Areas:
M&E system management & implementation
- Work in collaboration with M&E and programmes teams to implement M&E activities at provincial and district level
- Coordinate and oversee the implementation of all M&E activities, including site level data collection, timely submission and reporting (in DHIS2 and donor databases) to country and head office, data quality audit and improvement plans, report generation, analysis and interpretation
- Manage data entry and extractions as required for program monitoring, including use of research assistants
- Conduct periodic site data quality checks, identify and implement requisite interventions to ensure data quality and efficient data collection from site level.
- Coordinate the supply, production, and distribution of electronic and printed client management M&E tools for all m2m sites
Quality Improvement and Capacity Building
- Encourage and ensure the routine utilisation of m2m data at all levels
- Working with the Senior Programme Manager and programmes team, provide routine (monthly, quarterly) programmatic data and analysis to inform identification of quality improvement needs and implement improvement plans. Facilitate routine programme reviews informed by data.
- Lead training of Mentor Mothers and programme staff on and provide ongoing capacity building in m2m M&E, data documentation, monthly data compilation and data quality check techniques
- Develop and implement roll-out plans for newly developed tools
- Provide technical assistance to Mentor Mothers and provincial staff on use of electronic client management tools
- Conduct supportive supervision visits to facility and community staff, in coordination with program/technical staff
Reporting and Project Support
- Support documentation of lessons learned, reporting, and presentation
- Lead M&E data reporting for donors/projects and internal reporting
- Participate in routine data compilation and reporting as required
- Support annual programme evaluation exercises
- Work with the project team to ensure learning and replication of good practices, based on routine programme reviews
- Support other M&E activities as assigned
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. public health, social sciences, demography, biostatistics)
- Minimum of five years’ experience in program monitoring and evaluation, with specific M&E experience in HIV/AIDS, PMTCT, or MCH preferred
- Demonstrated experience in the implementation and management of M&E systems, involving capacity building for site-level staff, as well as monitoring and promotion of data quality and use of data for decision making and quality improvement
- Experience in programming and analysis of data using programs such as SAS, SPSS, Epi-Info, STATA or others
- Demonstrated experience in M&E reporting to USG/PEPFAR and other bilateral or multilateral donors strongly preferred
- Proven ability to mentor programme staff in M&E, data use for decision-making and quality improvement
- Sound knowledge of South African District Health Information Systems framework.
- Experience conducting data quality audits in the health sector
- Experience supporting the use of electronic client management tools strongly preferred
- Ability to work in a cross-functional project team
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to manage multiple concurrent tasks and deadlines
- Ability to work within a matrix management structure
- Strong analytical and creative thinking ability
- Strong facilitation, interpersonal, communication skills and collective problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and local language
- Ability to work fast, but accurately
- Ability to work independently and in a dynamic team environment
- Ability to utilize basic computer programs effectively, including Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook
- Proven ability to work as a team leader and as a team member with multidisciplinary teams
- Own transport and valid driver’s license
- Willingness to travel nationally
mothers2mothers is an equal opportunity employer. We particularly encourage applications from people living with HIV and AIDS (PLWHA), people with disabilities, women and previously disadvantaged people.
Competitive salary packages will be negotiable in accordance with m2m’s remuneration policies.
- Interested applicants should apply for this position via https://www.m2m.org/careers/ by 28 August 2018