Mothers2Mothers (M2M) is an Africa-based global health not-for-profit organisation committed to eliminating the transmission of HIV from mothers to babies, and creating healthy futures for mothers, their families, and communities. M2M’s peer-based Mentor Mother model has proven effective in improving the health of women and their children, reducing mother-to-child HIV transmission rates, and generating significant savings on HIV treatment costs, while empowering HIV-positive women through training and employment. Since its founding almost 15 years ago, Mentor Mothers have reached more than 1.3 million HIV-positive mothers in nine countries in sub-Saharan Africa. The m2m model has been identified as a key strategy in the United Nations Global Plan to eliminate pediatric AIDS and promote healthy motherhood.
Job Title: Senior Technical Proposal Writer
The role of the Senior Technical Proposal Writer is to work collaboratively to conceptualize and write and/or compile proposals, concept notes, reports, etc. for a variety of funders, including USG (USAID, PEPFAR, CDC), UK (DfiD), European Union, bilateral/multilateral, foundations, and corporations. This role will primarily focus on proposal writing. This position will also coordinate the proposal process.
Key Performance Areas:
- Leads the conceptualization, writing, and/or compiling of proposals, approaches, concept notes, reports, etc., for a variety of funders, including: PEPFAR/USG, bilaterals/multilaterals, foundations, and corporations;
- Leads the technical writing for and review of proposals across a broad range of programme activities, including PMTCT, HIV, health systems strengthening, adolescent health, orphans and vulnerable children, early childhood development, reproductive and maternal and child health
- Provide technical support required for proposal development, including formative research and program design rationale, budgets, log frames, work plans, and other programmatic components
- Work collaboratively with field-based, Head Office, and US/UK -based m2m staff, providing leadership to conceptualize and write and/or compile proposals, concept notes, including technical and management sections
- Leads proposal process with Country Directors and senior m2m staff (US, UK, HQ) to deliver compliant, competitive proposals to the client on time. Oversees the entire proposal process—from capture through development and submission—in close collaboration with proposal design leads and proposal teams
- Manages every aspect of the proposal development process, including ensuring the use of business development systems, processes and best practices to develop the most responsive and competitive proposals.
- Contributes to partnering decisions/negotiations; assists in securing resources, such as external consultants and writers.
- Oversees the collection of all required proposal forms, materials, etc. as stipulated in the funders’ requests for proposals (solicited and unsolicited concept papers/LOIs, full proposals, etc.).
- Quality-controls proposal components to ensure compliance with donor requirements and m2m standards and competitiveness prior to submission.
- Leads and contributes to organizational learning, through analysis of proposal successes and failures, analysis of m2m competitiveness and the funding environment, and active participation in shared learning across all entities and country offices;
- Role as BD Desk Officer for assigned countries – being the “go to” person for that country’s BD information and provide tailored and informed direct support to assigned Country Teams, as needed.
- Builds strong relationships with colleagues across multiple departments to facilitate collaborative proposal development and to continually improve proposal and business development processes.
- Develops, utilizes and continually refines tools, templates and work processes that result in streamlined and efficient proposal teamwork.
- Leads post-proposal submission after action reviews, debriefs and follow-up activities.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in public health, international relations, development, journalism, or a related field;
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience in the international development/public health field;
- Minimum 3 years of proposal development experience for USG Agencies (USAID, CDC, PEPFAR) and other bilateral/multilaterals, foundations, and corporates;
- Demonstrated success writing proposals, specifically with institutional donors, such as USAID, DfID, PEPFAR, UNICEF, etc.;
- Extensive experience in developing technical proposals, budgets, log frames, work plans, and other proposal sections;
- Ability to convey complex ideas effectively and in a compelling manner to internal and external audiences;
- Demonstrated knowledge of international development, in particular, global health issues;
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently in teams under tight deadlines;
- Exceptional organization, analytical, strategic planning, and research skills;
- Excellent and proven ability to initiate and organize work, establish priorities in a time-sensitive environment, and meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality;
- Makes timely, informed decisions that take into account the facts, goals, constraints, and risks;
- The ability to multi-task and meet deadlines in a demanding, fast-paced and rapidly changing environment;
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally as necessary.
Interested applicants should apply for this position via https://www.m2m.org/careers/ by 24 July 2018