Posted on :
21 Jul, 2010
The MTN South Africa brand was successfully relaunched with the “GO” campaign, which received a number of accolades including the Markinor Top Brands Survey and the Loerie Awards for advertising. There were also significant improvements in customer service levels. This was ratified by the Ask Africa Orange Index Survey, which named MTN South Africa the leading customer service provider in the telecommunications industry.
As part of the increased focus on improving capacity to deliver on the business strategy, MTN South Africa has been restructured into a functional organisational design. This has resulted in revised sales and service, marketing, and strategy and business development departments being implemented. This structure has been supported by a number of senior appointments. MTN South Africa has also entered into an information system outsourcing contract to gain access to a broader pool of skills.
The South African mobile communications market is a highly competitive and rapidly changing environment. Included in the range of new competitors are four broadband suppliers and the imminent entry of two fixed-line operators.
MTN South Africa is looking for a Senior Manager: Group Risk Support
To assist Senior and Executive Management with the implementation of proper Risk Management processes in the group.
• Develop and implement plans for the roll-out of Risk Management in conjunction with the OU’s, in alignment with the Group Risk Management Framework.
• Implement structures in operations to comply with the Group Risk Management framework. Done in conjunction with the operation.
• Implement improvements to Risk Management framework in conjunction with operating units.
• Facilitate risk assessments, evaluation of risks, and mitigation of risks and ownership in all OU’s. This involves interviews and workshops with Senior Management, General Management and Group Execs
• Identify, consolidate and report on anomalies, common and future potential risks.
• Liaise constantly with Executive Management and CEO’s of the group operations on various risk matters especially tracking ownership and mitigation of risk items identified.
• Report back to operational CEO’s, Vice Presidents and Group Executives
• Train, liaise and mentor risk champions in each operation
• Ensure accurate updating of risk items identified on risk management system
• Implement political risk management procedures in each operation.
• Monitor political risk situations in countries and report back to CEO’s and Vice Presidents
• Coordinate insurance risk assessments and reporting for operations in conjunction with the group insurance brokers
• Perform assessments in operations of compliance to the Group Sustainability Management policy
Supervisory / Leadership / Managerial Tasks:
• As this is a group function the risk management functions and risk champions in the different operations of the group will have a dotted line reporting responsibility to this person. Leadership will be very important. Also due to the level of interaction with senior management in the group, leadership abilities of this person will assist in obtaining buy-in from people in the organisation regarding risk issues.
• Buy-in from management
• Support from the Group Risk and Governance Committee
• Support from the General Manager: Business Risk
• Support from the Group Executive: Business Risk Management
• B Comm (or appropriate degree e.g. information systems)
• 5 Years plus in a business environment
• 3 years Internal Audit management experience
• 2-3 years Telecoms
• Thorough knowledge and understanding of risk, control and auditing methodologies
• Task management (adapt risk management work when necessary, handle multi-tasking, scheduling, using sophisticated risk management approaches)
Skills / physical competencies:
• Cognitive skills,
• Analytical skills
• Interpersonal skills
• Presentation skills
• Facilitation skills
• Conflict resolution skills
Reference No: MM017
Position Type: Permanent
Affirmative Action: Yes
Additional: • Laptop provided by the company.
• Data card with international roaming
• Use of pool car for visiting decentralised sites.
• Extensive travel in Africa and Middle East
Applications close 29 Jul 2010.