My Vote Counts (MVC) is a non-profit organisation that aims to improve the accountability, transparency and inclusiveness in South Africa’s political and electoral systems. They achieve their aims through research, advocacy, campaigning, popular education and strategic litigation.
Job Title: Political Systems Researcher
Location: Cape Town.
Start date: Early May 2020
Remuneration: R19 000 per month
Reports to: Director
- Conduct research, monitor developments, and liaise with various stakeholders to further the portfolio’s work, with a focus on political party funding, access to information and intra-party democracy.
- Liaise with stakeholders including political institutions, politicians, the IEC, government departments, Parliament and other organisations.
- Assist in developing strategic vision and direction for the portfolio in conjunction with the Director and MVC team.
- Produce research reports, op-eds, submissions, infographics and other written material.
- Assist with developing content for MVC’s electronic media channels.
- Conduct workshops and seminars for MVC’s stakeholders and partners in civil society.
- Liaise with journalists and take part in interviews with the media.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with civil society, academic and community organisations focusing on similar work.
- Must be a South African citizen or permanent resident with a university qualification (minimum Honours, Masters preferable) in politics, public policy, law or another relevant field.
- An interest in South African politics and stay up to date with current political events.
- An ability to produce written material that is coherent and analytical.
- Research experience with an ability to convey complex issues in understandable formats.
- An understanding of the South African civil society social justice environment will be beneficial, but is not required.
- Strong inter-personal, facilitation, presentation and time management skills.
- Able to engage with a wide range of stakeholders and to represent MVC at stakeholder events.
- An ability to work independently and within a team.
- Be flexible at times to accommodate for work outside normal office hours.
Submit a CV (maximum three pages), cover letter (maximum two pages), current contact details of at least three referees, and your university academic transcript to email@example.com quoting: “Political Systems Researcher MVC 2020” in the subject line.
Application Deadline: Friday, 17 April, 2020