Natural Justice is a young and fast-paced nonprofit organisation specialising in human rights and environmental law in pursuit of social and environmental justice.
Job Title: Programme Manager
Job Location: Cape Town
Duration: One-year, with the possibility of extension, depending on funding availability.
The purpose of the Programme Manager is to implement, further develop and expand the work of the programmes in South Africa, Namibia and Botswana under the guidance of the Cape Town Hub Director and regional programme directors.
- Oversee the management of the work as part of both the Governance of Lands & Natural Resources and Traditional Knowledge and Access & Benefit Sharing programmes
- Engage in constitutional and policy research, advocacy and support strategic litigation in furtherance of human and peoples’ rights to their lands, resources and traditional knowledge in both South Africa, Botswana and Namibia
- Undertake legal research, write submissions and provide opinions on environmental justice issues
- Provide high quality legal advice and support to NJ communities and its partners
- Review new and existing litigated files to create, update, or amend litigation plans
- Form and maintain good working relationships with all key partners including communities, government entities and donors
- Oversee the successful implementation of relevant projects
- Admitted Attorney with minimum of five years’ relevant programme management experience
- Project management background, including budgeting, project planning, drafting contracts, and monitoring and evaluation
- Knowledge of South Africa’s constitutional and administrative law, including human rights, land and environmental law, or a clear ability to acquire the necessary knowledge within a short space of time
- Work experience with the access and benefit sharing framework will be advantageous
- Experience in writing funding applications and reporting to donors is desirable
- Experience in managing and supervising teams
- Legal research skills in law, policy and social issues
- Advocacy experience
- Written and oral communication skills
- Ability to grasp quickly and accurately new and complex concepts
- Ability to work under pressure and as part of a team
- Ability to balance priorities and coordinate work effectively in order to meet deadlines
- Conviction in and commitment to constitutionalism and principles of environmental justice
- Emotional intelligence skills to enable interaction with persons from all sectors of the society
To apply, submit your CV to Human Resources: [email protected] with the job title in the subject line.
Please ensure that your application as a whole speaks to the required skills, experience, traits and attributes listed above.
Only candidates with a valid work permit to work in South Africa and/or Kenya should apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline: 7th December, 2018