Posted on :
19 Oct, 2022
19 Oct, 2022
NORTH-WEST UNIVERSITY (POTCHEFSTROOM CAMPUS) DIVISION: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY DIRECTORATE: DVC CAMPUS OPERATION POSITION NUMBER: P003121; P003123 VACANCY: IT TECHNICIAN X2 PEROMNES GRADE: P10 EMPLOYMENT TYPE: PERMANENT APPOINTMENT
Job Title: IT TECHNICIAN P003121 and P003123
Location: North West
Duties & Responsibilities:
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
Provide a Service Desk and information communication technology installation, maintenance and support function to NWU users to support their business functions. The responsibilities includes:
Timely and effective processing and resolution of information technology and telecommunication incidents, problems and requests following agreed procedures
Co-ordination of rapid and appropriate responses for complex problem resolution requiring escalation
Providing advice on both new and established systems
Conducting trend analysis of series data to determine common occurrences and recurring issues
Determining absolute cause of problems by either recreating the issues in a test environment or reviewing system design
Provides basic training for users when required
Acts as liaison between users and information technology department on problem areas, managing client expectations
May manage the incident to completion
1. Service Desk and Incident Management:
· Log, analyse, investigate, escalate, monitor, track, resolve, and close complex incidents, problems and requests reported by telephone, request system, e-mail or walk-in, within service level and escalate to responsible agent where applicable by applying the Incident Management Process
· Escalate complex problems to appropriate support team and coordinate rapid resolution thereof;
· Monitor progress of escalated tickets to ensure resolution by assigned agent within service level
· Manage incident until completion
· Identify recurring incidents by conducting trend analysis
· Determine absolute cause of incidents by recreating the issues in test environment or reviewing system design
2. Infrastructure Support:
· Assist with the investigation and resolution of hardware, software and network problems within service level by applying applicable process.
· Install, support and maintain IT infrastructure as assigned by applying applicable process and ensuring agreed availability
· Build and cast images by applying the applicable process and ensuring agreed availability.
· Execute hardware replacement strategy as assigned by applying the applicable process
· Execute routine system checks and backups as assigned
· Monitor and report maintenance and support of 3rd Party supported systems and physical infrastructure in central IT spaces by applying applicable process, ensuring agreed availability, resolution within service level and adherence to Occupational Health and Safety Standards.
· Provide IT standby service as assigned
3. Client liaison
· Update user on progress and status of ticket
· Provide advice on IT policy, guidelines, procedures and systems;
· Provide basic training on services when required
· Market IT services
· Handle general IT queries
· Keep relevant IT documents and systems up-to-date
· Contribute to the development/reviewing of procedures, processes and standards
· Liaise with identified external suppliers on service requests as required
· Comply with general NWU responsibilities for staff
· Participate in projects in assigned role ensuring successful completion of the project
Desired Experience & Qualification:
· Diploma in Information Technology or applicable
· IT Certificate (A ; N )
· 4 years’ experience in Hardware architecture and assembly
· 4 years’ experience in Software support
· 4 years’ experience in Network support
· IT Certificate (ITIL foundation)
· 4 years’ experience in service desk support
KEY FUNCTIONAL/ TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES:
· Broad knowledge of standard software programs (eg MS Office, Windows Operating Systems, Email and internet) and information communication technology
· Have a valid code 8 RSA driver’s license
· Excellent problem resolution skills
· Excellent customer service skills
· Ability to develop good relations
· Ability to work well in a team environment
· Ability to work under pressure and maintain professionalism
· Have good telephone ethics and communication skills
KEY BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES:
· Ability to manage time effectively
· Adapt to diverse organisational environments
· Ability to maintain strict confidentiality in performing duties
The annual total remuneration package will be commensurate with the level of appointment as advertised and in line with the NWU policy guidelines.
ENQUIRIES REGARDING JOB CONTENT MAY BE DIRECTED TO: Mr Thys Snyman Tel: 018 285 5020
ENQUIRIES REGARDING RECRUITMENT PROCESS MAY BE DIRECTED TO: Mr Rabs Diratsagae Tel: 018 299 4797
CLOSING DATE: 26 OCTOBER 2022
PLANNED COMMENCEMENT OF DUTIES: AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
Kindly take note: applications must be submitted online through the official nwu vacancy website.
Incomplete applications and those submitted through any other platform will not be considered.
The University subscribes to and applies the principles of Employment Equity (EE) Act and is committed to transformation. Preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups, in accordance with the principles of the EE Act and NWU Employment Equity Plan.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment. Communication will be limited to shortlisted candidates only.
If you are not contacted within two months from the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.