Open Secrets is a nonprofit organisation working on issues of economic crime and the link to human rights with a focus on the financial sector in Southern Africa. The organisaiton uses research, advocacy and the law to hold people and institutions who abuse power to account.
Job Title: Two Legal Researchers
Job Location: Salt River, Cape Town
Start date: January 2019
Duration: One-year contract (with prospects for renewal)
- Work closely with a team of investigators undertaking research on historic and contemporary economic crime and related human rights violations in Southern Africa
- Undertake legal research, legal drafting and assist in formulating our legal strategy
- Work closely with civil society partners to hold parties implicated in corruption from apartheid to contemporary state capture to account -This includes the People’s Tribunal on Economic Crime, strategic litigation and the Zondo Commission of Inquiry into State Capture
- Liaise with lawyers and counsel on cases
- Assist in advocacy and media in support of our work.
- Write reports as well as related occasional articles for the website and social media platforms
- Qualified attorney and/or someone with a postgraduate qualification in Law – Candidates with a relevant Master’s degree would be preferred
- Work ethic, integrity and a commitment to social justice
- Team player, with an inquisitive mind, who values collaboration
- Two or three years’ work experience, preferably including in the social justice sector
- Research and writing skills
- Organisational skills
- Computer Literacy: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.)
To apply, submit a CV, copy of relevant qualifications, a copy of an unedited written work and contact details of at least three referees to [email protected]
Historically disadvantaged applicants are encouraged to apply.
This is envisaged as a full-time position.
Kindly note that applications missing any of the required information will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified of the outcome of the application process.
Application Deadline: 26th November, 2018