Open Secrets is a nonprofit organisation working on issues of economic crime and the link to human rights with a focus on the financial sector in Southern Africa.
The organisaiton uses research, advocacy and the law to hold people and institutions who abuse power to account.
Job Title: Legal intern
Location: Community House in Salt River, Cape Town
Employment type: Full-time position.
Start date: January 2020 for a six-month contract period
Remuneration: R10,000.00 per month.
- Assist with researching particular aspects of the law, assisting with developing legal strategies based on research, assisting with drafting letters and other documents.
- From this legal research, summarise research findings and draft internal legal opinions and memorandums.
- Help with drafting reports and related occasional articles for our website and social media platforms. Possibly assisting with drafting for legal journals.
- Contribute to other Open Secrets work areas as needed.
- General administrative and logistical support as needed.
- Strong work ethic (thorough, thoughtful and able to manage deadlines), integrity and a demonstrated commitment to social justice.
- A committed team player, with an inquisitive mind, who values collaboration.
- LLB and post-graduate studies in law (LLM or MPhil or higher degree), preferably with a focus on the intersection between corporate/commercial law and human rights.
- Strong research, writing and organisational skills.
- Strong command of basic Microsoft Office Suite programmes (Word, Excel, etc.).
- Familiar and comfortable with using legal research tools such as LexisNexis, etc.
- Able to work through an intersectional lens.
- Historically disadvantaged applicants are encouraged to apply.
Submit a covering letter, resume, copy of relevant qualifications, a copy of an unedited written work and contact details of at least three referees, by 1pm on Friday 6 December 2019.
The subject line of your e-mail should clearly state the position you are applying for.
Please send your application to: [email protected]
Application Deadline: Friday, 6 December, 2019