Orbis International is a leading non-profit organisation dedicated to transforming lives through the prevention and treatment of avoidable blindness. With networks of partners, Orbis mentors, trains and inspires local teams so they can save sight in their communities. Orbis is headquartered in the USA with 15 international offices and has worked in over 90 countries, with a programme focus in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Orbis owns and operates the world’s only Flying Eye Hospital. The Orbis International office in Cape Town has been active since 2010 and supports the organisation’s work across the African continent including Cameroon, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Rwanda, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Ghana.
Orbis is seeking to fill the exciting and challenging role of
Job Title: Director Of Communication
Job Location: Cape Town
Based in Cape Town, the incumbent will provide communications support across the Africa programme portfolio. S/he will recommend and implement communications strategies, campaigns and initiatives in line with global and regional priorities that help to build Orbis’s brand awareness and reputation amongst key stakeholders.
Key areas of responsibility will include:
- Leading and participating in global initiatives to build the Orbis brand globally and across the African continent – this includes identifying and managing opportunities for Orbis to participate in global events and meetings to present the organisation as a thought leader in the training and delivery of comprehensive eye health.
- Developing and overseeing the implementation of internal and external marketing and communications strategies for the Africa region that can be extended globally.
- Developing content in the Africa region that can be used across multiple channels and Orbis international offices.
- Completing of case studies for use across the organisation including editorial features, donor reporting, web and social media.
- Generating maximum public awareness around Orbis International Africa programmes, initiatives, events and donor contributions.
- Briefing and training Orbis spokespeople for media engagements.
- Pro-actively engaging with global communications teams within Orbis to ensure information sharing and optimisation of resources.
- Developing quarterly metrics reports for media and online activity to share with Orbis International HQ.
- Overseeing the delivery and quality of work from all communications suppliers in their contribution to effective communications initiatives, campaigns and materials.
- Representing Orbis at relevant external forums, as appropriate and agreed to by the Chief, Global Communications and Marketing.
The Director of Communications requires in-depth knowledge and experience in Communications. Other requirements for this exciting position include:
- Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or related field preferred
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in corporate or marketing communications either in-house or agency, ideally in the non-profit sector
- Proven track record in communications campaign design and implementation
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application by Friday 19th October 2018 to [email protected]