Pact is helping to build the capacity of South Africa’s Department of Social Development to better support orphans and vulnerable children, including those affected by abuse, neglect or exploitation.
Specifically, the project is strengthening the department’s response to tuberculosis, HIV and other diseases among vulnerable children.
Job Title: District Project Officer
Location: South Africa
Reporting to DSD HIV/AIDS Coordinator and Technical Advisor G2G National Manager. The Project Officer will support the implementation of the G2G programme at district level. Due to the high levels of HIV infections in the country, USAID has seen an opportunity to partner with DSD to scale up the YOLO programme in KZN and Gauteng provinces for a period of five years. This includes overseeing the roll out of all activities within the programme work plan and related implementation plans at district and ward level. S/he will also assist with coordinating activities to be implemented across assigned districts.
Minimum Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in programme activities, offering technical support to the team including facilitation of task teams to support implementation;
- Actively participate in the management and oversite of the design, planning and implementation of G2G programme activities within allocated district;
- Coordinate the delivery of services among different programme activities to increase effectiveness and efficiency within allocated district;
- Ensures close collaboration and coordination with cooperating partners to guarantee smooth implementation of activities and achievement of results as specified in contract agreement;
- Promotes the programme through advocacy, presentations, and participation in provincial and district technical forums;
- Roll out a district level system to improve integration of service delivery and support access by children to health and welfare services;
- Roll out identified social behaviour change and child protection programmes for vulnerable children;
- Identify programme challenges and implement creative solutions;
- Support in planning and roll out of G2G data collection processes;
- Provide administrative support to the G2G programme at district level;
- Participate actively in any capacity building intervention including training and mentoring;
- To provide weekly supervision, support and oversight to assisting NPOs in developing monthly work plans to ensure the implementation of key G2G programme activities;
- To provide overall supervision, mentoring and guidance to NPOs;
- Write activity reports, minutes of meetings and ensuring completion of weekly, monthly and quarterly events calendar.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Appropriate degree in Social, Behavioral or Health Sciences with practical experience in developing and implementing programmes in the HIV/AIDS Social Welfare sector;
- 5 years of relevant experience in social work supervision;
- 2 years of relevant experience in management;
- 5 years’ experience within the child protection sector;
- Previous experience working with or within the South African Government, preferably at DSD, PEPFAR funded programme or similar agency;
- Facilitates and encourages open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Actively produces and disseminates new knowledge;
- Creates / contributes to mechanisms to collect and share knowledge;
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint;
- Strong team player with the ability to navigate complex organizational structures and motivate people for programme participation;
- Excellent communication skills with demonstrated experience in communicating complex processes to diverse stakeholders;
- Strong interpersonal skills must have a proven ability to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse counterparts.
- Must be a South African national with fluency in English and in at least one local indigenous South African language
Only applicants possessing the prescribed minimum qualifications and experience are invited to submit their electronic CVs and application letters with a subject line “District Project Officer and the province you are applying for” to [email protected]
Application Deadline: Friday, 17 January, 2020