Paediatric-Adolescent Treatment Africa (PATA) is looking for a mid-level Communications Officer who is interested in growing into a senior communications and advocacy position. The Communication Officer plays a key role in developing and implementing the organisation´s communication and advocacy plan that supports the PATA organisational strategy for 2019-2023 as well as underpins PATA projects, with the aim to strengthen the organisation.
PATA is an action network of over 1100 frontline health providers and 489 facilities. The PATA network is a powerful and broad platform, utilised to effect positive change in paediatric and adolescent HIV service delivery.
Job Title: Communications Officer
Location: Mowbray, Cape Town.
Employment Type: Full-time position.
The purpose of this position is to find a candidate that will be an ambitious self-starter who thrives in a communications role, including developing and tailoring content for different target audience, helping to push PATA´s visibility and profile to the next level. She/He will assist in developing and implementing the organisation´s communication and advocacy plan that supports PATA´s organisational strategy and forms a key deliverable across PATA projects. The Communications Officer will have at least three years of experience, working in public health setting with a communications (journalism/communications) degree or working in a communications or advocacy setting with a public health degree. They are looking for a person that can demonstrate both passion for communication as well as a strong interest in the public health sector. The ideal person should have the ability to display qualities of an action and solutions-oriented person who is proactive, innovative and independent. Knowledge of or experience in HIV or the international development sector will be an advantage.
- Strengthening a network of frontline health providers and facilities
- Supporting and building in-country technical assistance to the network to support positive change at the frontline of HIV service delivery
- Refining and developing a comprehensive package for HIV service delivery to children and adolescents
- Implementing incubation projects that inform practise and collaborative advocacy
- Linking and Learning endeavours at country, regional and global levels
- Ensuring meaningful engagement of frontline health providers and community partners
- The Communications Officer will:
- Support the PATA team, including country technical advisors (TAs) with communication outputs, including webinars, surveys and campaigns
- Support the PATA team with the development of communication materials including tools, resources and branded material for conferences and events
- Manage the PATA network WhatsApp Groups, social media platforms and website, driving content and key messaging
- Assist in the implementation of PATA Learning Labs
- Support PATA summits and forums, including event and content development, branding and materials
- Work closely with programmes and monitoring & evaluation (M&E) teams as well as senior management and the current Communications Manager to strengthen, support and co-ordinate communications activities
- Work across Office 365 Teams
- Support PATA´s knowledge management, ensuring an updated and well-managed resource hub for easy access for the PATA team and network members
- Bachelors´ degree in social science, with a focus on public health/development or a Bachelors´ degree in communications/journalism
- A minimum of three years’ experience in public health or communications, with knowledge of the HIV or international development sector an advantage
- The ability to demonstrate strong communications skills, including writing, editing and content strategy
- A team player who works well with peers but can manage tasks and deliverables independently
- The following competencies: pro-active, self-starter, team player, results oriented, problem solver
- Wiling to travel occasionally globally and throughout sub-Saharan Africa
- Must be in possession of permanent residency and eligible to work in South Africa
- Fluency in English (written and oral) required
Please email a concise CV with three contactable references and a detailed motivation letter on how you are a valuable candidate for this role to: [email protected]
Application Deadline: Friday, 17 April, 2020