Philani Maternal, Child Health and Nutrition Trust has been addressing maternal and child health problems in the informal settlements surrounding Cape Town since 1979. Philani’s mandate is sustainable community health, and, over the years, the organisation has developed programmes to meet the needs of the communities it serves.
We aim to improve health outcomes by combining skills and resources with the knowledge and resources that exist in the community. Philani’s programmes promote family health, focusing on the support of pregnant mothers, prevention of child malnutrition and the rehabilitation of underweight children. The organisation is committed to limiting the suffering of families infected and affected by HIV and preventing the spread of the virus.
Job Title: Dietician in Khayelitsha
Location: Cape Town
- Supervise and attend 3 flexi clinics, ensure that they are implementing the NTP correctly, completing milk registers correctly and filling in all folder numbers and codes.
- Do spot checks on Nutrition Centres ensuring that menus are being followed, that the correct amount of vegetables are being prepared and served without wastage and overcooking and that centres are clean and well presented.
- Manage the Nutrition Advisor holding her accountable for her Job Description and ensuring that she delivers a high standard of service and displays the attitudes and behaviours expected of her.
- Ensure that the Nutrition Advisor does tracing and monthly statistics and ensure that statistics are completed correctly.
- Identify training needs and organise as necessary.
- Assist with the training of new ECD cooks when necessary (going through the menu, showing them the correct portion sizes and cooking of vegetables to avoid wastage and overcooking).
- Assist with training of Philani mentor mothers and community health workers from other organizations as necessary.
- Oversee the running of nutrition clinics ensuring that the service is effective.
- Collect all statistics from the Nutrition Advisor and flexi clinics monthly.
- Assess folders and report on nutrition outcomes and low birth weight.
- monthly statistics and quarterly reports to the relevant Substructures
- Ensure that the children in the educares are weighed and measured every 6 months. Plot all weights and heights on growth charts. Compile a report on the findings – % stunting, wasting, underweight, overweight
- Build and maintain a healthy and productive relationship with relevant members of the DoH.
- Attend quarterly DoH nutrition meetings as well as other necessary programme implementation meetings.
- Organise the replacement of medication by Nolungile clinic (pharmacy order) when necessary.
- Manage the collection and storage of NTP products from local clinics and issue accordingly to the Nutrition Advisor on a weekly basis for Crossroads and Brownsfarm.
- Qualified and registered Dietician
- Experience in an NPO environment specifically around the clinical care of mothers and children
- Experience in training and the development of training programmes
- Computer literacy
- Code 08 driver’s license
Submit a CV and motivation letter to [email protected]
Application Deadline: Monday, 7 December, 2020