Jacaranda FM has a highly exciting opportunity available! The station is searching for 2 news interns to join their vibrant and dynamic news team. Jacaranda has partnered with The Wits Radio Academy, a centre of training, research and public engagement in the field of radio. The Academy works with the university’s campus station, Voice of Wits 88.1FM in the heart of Braamfontein.
The two interns will rotate every 6 weeks between both organizations for a period of 12 months. You will share your time between VowFm in Braamfontein and Jacaranda in Midrand.
The internship is designed to ensure that learning takes place in the various aspects and operations of a newsroom, effective January 2017 to December 2017 and offers a monthly basic stipend.
At VowFM, interns will develop skills in the following areas:
- Report from the field and crossover to live news
- Package stories for current affairs programmes and news bulletins
- Be actively involved in the day to day news and current affairs programming
- Update social media with news content
- Assist in compiling/reading daily bulletins
At Jacaranda, interns will develop skills in the following areas:
- Assist in various areas of the news department, thereby learning the practical skills involved
- Assist in the general operations of a newsroom
- Assist journalists in the compilation of their stories
- Report from the field as well as work on the news desk
So what do you need?
- Qualification in Journalism or related field (Bachelors’ Degree or 3 year National Diploma)
- Valid driver’s licence or in the process of getting one
- Good command of the English language, Preferably bilingual in Afrikaans and English
- Quality writing and voicing scripts for radio
- Check facts, accuracy and quality of stories
- Operating studio and field recording and production equipment
- Minimal editing and multi-track mixing experience needed
Application deadline: 18 November 2016 Email: [email protected]
Applicants should submit a motivational letter of 300 words outlining why they would be a good fit for the position alongside a CV with three contactable references.