The Right2Know Campaign is an umbrella group of organisations and activists campaigning to advance the free flow of information in South Africa. R2K is best known for leading the civil society campaign on the Secrecy Bill, but its work has expanded to tackle broader issues relating to access to information, freedom of expression, and the free flow of information.
Job Title: Communication Rights Organiser
The successful candidate will organise campaigns for the ‘Right to Communicate’, advocate media and internet freedom, media transformation, and access to telecommunications.
Ideally this person should have a grasp of a range of issues related to communication rights including:
- Freedom of expression, including online and media freedom;
- The state of South African media transformation, in particular issues relating to diversity of media ownership;
- Access to telecommunications in South Africa, in particular broadband access and the cost of data and airtime.
- Support activist collectives to develop and implement various advocacy campaigns
- Monitor relevant legislation and media coverage
- Undertake research and prepare briefings, statements, and policy submissions
- Manage and account for the expenditure of R2K funds
- Represent the Right2Know in various forums, including in the media
- Develop popular education material and training events
- Commitment to the democratic principles of the R2K Campaign
- Insight into campaigning and movement-building, including experience with advocacy, popular education and mobilisation in the context of current South African social justice struggles
- Knowledge of relevant legislation, public policy and private sector policies and programmes related to communication rights
- Written/verbal communication skills with multilingualism being an advantage
- Ability to maintain good working relationship and work with volunteer activists in flexible team environments is a necessity
- Ability to self-manage and multi-task, pay attention to detail, planning, organising and time management
- Strong computer skills essential (Word Processing, Spreadsheets, e-mail and Internet)
- A relevant tertiary qualification
- Multilingualism, and/or a driver’s license would be an advantage
To apply, upload a cover letter, CV, and complete a short self-assessment using this form: https://goo.gl/forms/e4Z4v0iz6YZfT2sI2
Closing time: 12h00
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
R2K reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Application Deadline: 17th July, 2018