Rio Tinto is a leading international mining group headquartered in the UK. Rio Tinto’s business is finding, mining and processing mineral resources. Major products are aluminium, copper, diamonds, energy (coal and uranium), gold, industrial minerals (borax, titanium dioxide, salt, talc) and iron ore. Activities span the world but are strongly represented in Australia and North America with businesses in South America, Asia, Europe and Southern Africa.
Rio Tinto South Africa recruits: Manager – Strategy and Planning
An exciting position for Manager – Strategy and Planning has become available in Richards Bay Minerals (RBM), to manage strategic planning initiatives within the business, ensure consistency across the business in terms of long term production planning, integration of scorecards to the overall business plan and coordination of production budgets. This is done to ensure that the quality and consistency of leading strategic production planning is realized.
- Plan, research and source information on projects identified and integrate all information obtained to present motivations and alternatives to stakeholders
- Manage the collation of all necessary information e.g. reserves/resources and grade/tonnage info, current strategic plan, current business plan, current “Life of Mine” Plan, current business improvement plan, closure plans in order to validate assumptions for the LOM model
- Coordinate industry and market information research in order to develop & maintain the Business Unit strategy.
- Coordinate the collection of third party information for use in the business model and providing decision support to the business.
- Identify production planning capability with regards to the organization, processes, interaction for valuation and decision making, production plans and planning issues in order to assess current status and make recommendations for future planning
- Provide feedback to stakeholders and facilitate workshops to agree on production plan
- Gather and analyze Business Unit specific data and Business Unit planning and analysis data e.g. investment committee documents, site papers, mine plans, business plans, 5 year and LOM plans
- Maintain departmental valuation capability by ensuring that resources are able to perform organization valuation and demonstration of models
- Maintain business scorecards to departmental level in order to ensure integration of the strategy to business plan
- Map out and prepare fact base of priority issues with regards to resources and reserves, mining and processing infrastructure and operations, logistics infrastructure, marketing, JV’s, environment and community, historic production and financial performance, based on information analysis
- Manage the maintenance of the business model to evaluate strategic options and value chain opportunities
- Ensure that progress and exceptions are communicated to clients
- Analyze monthly reports with regards to budgetary impact on historic production, sales, cost of operation and Capex
- Degree in either the Applied Sciences (Physics, Chemistry, Engineering), Production or Finance
- Proven and outstanding track record in terms of delivery and commitment to excellence
- Proven track record in effective project planning, management and review.
- Strong relationship building and management skills
- Highly motivated and able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to command credibility at all levels, internally and externally through strategic forward thinking and business acumen
- Drivers Licence
Business Analysis/Planning and Development/Corporate Strategy
Click here to apply online