Room to Read seeks to transform the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education.
Working in collaboration with local communities, partner organizations and governments, we develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children, and support girls to complete secondary school with the relevant life skills to succeed in school and beyond.
Job Title: Program Officer/Program Officer-Quality Reading Materials (QRM)
Location: Room to Read Country Office in Pretoria
Reports: Directly to the Program Manager-Quality Reading Material.
- As part of the QRM Team, contribute to preparation of conceptual notes and detailed implementation plans for engaging, relevant, and culturally appropriate reading materials for primary school children.
- Finalize manuscripts, coordinate with translators, writers, illustrators, designers and other external and internal stakeholders to develop our books.
- Co-ordinating and applying for ISBNs
- Review of translations both in in IsiZulu and English for new titles and adaptations. This would also include editing and proof-reading.
- Coordinating and facilitating illustrator workshops and Authors workshops.
- Planning for field testing including identification of titles, developing tools, deciding on sampling etc
- Communicating with authors, illustrators, designers, printers, and other stakeholders.
- Take lead in the book selection process for RtR libraries and establish an ideal book list for IsiZulu books.
- Communicate with Global Office and other external stakeholders as needed.
- Contribute to preparation of various reports, budget reviews, forecasts and documentation of good practices
- Work with internal and external teams on various technical assistance projects with government organizations
- Provide technical advice to Admin on the bidding and printing process of books/other materials: issue requisitions, undertake technical assessment, provide soft copies, follow up with printers, check quality of printing, and approve payment.
- Any other work assigned from time to time to meet the technical needs of the organization.
- Facilitate and contribute in the development of Grade 1 and 2 instructional material/books with instructional material team.
- Once the content is finalized, take lead in organising/contracting people for illustrating, designing, layout and printing the materials.
- Bachelor’s Degree in education / social sciences or equivalent
- Master’s in education / social sciences or equivalent preferred
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in developing good quality children educational/learning material like storybooks, textbooks etc.
- In-depth understanding of the role of supplementary materials in enhancing reading skills and developing reading habit in children
- Experience of developing teaching learning materials (TLM) and other instruction materials will be a plus.
- Experience of having worked directly with teachers and children will be an added advantage.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent collaborative and interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail and tenacious commitment to continuous improvement
- Independent planning skills to drive the timeline for the entire course
- Organized, able to prioritize work, able to balance multiple competing priorities
- Demonstrates ownership to the project and discipline in regularly communicates project status to all involved parties
- Be an innovative and creative thinker that tries new things and inspires others to do so
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Work well independently as well as part of a team
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic non-profit organization.
The position will require some travel and involves frequent interaction with design houses, authors, illustrators, publishers, educationists, and government officials in the education sector.
Room to Read offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits.
Benefits including 13th month bonus, pension fund, medical aid and staff professional development.
The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing transforming the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education.
Applications must be submitted via www.roomtoread.org or emailed to [email protected].
Application Deadline: Monday, 16 September, 2019