Posted on :
22 Oct, 2013
22 Oct, 2013
Job Title Safety Officer
Job Type Classification Permanent
Reporting To (Job Title) Senior Safety Officer
Number of Positions 1
Location – Town / City Musina
Location – Province Limpopo
Location – Country South Africa
Purpose This position exists for a suitably qualified and experienced candidate to advise and support the Site Manager in the implementation of the Company SHE and skills/safety training objectives by providing expert and functional expertise in legal (both SHE and training related) and company compliance and innovative interventions to achieve world class SHE/Operational performance.
Duties & Responsibilities
• To continually monitor and adapt change or intervention technologies to improve SHE behaviour, attitudes and skills and enhance line SHE roles.
• To interpret and apply all legal requirements through the development and maintenance of systems and procedures and partake in all investigations relating to the function; responsible for the monitoring of all Health and Environmental issues and advise on corrective action where necessary i.e. the disposal of waste and remediation.
• To facilitate the process of Hazop studies (Risk Assessments) ensuring the elimination and mitigation of SHE and subsequent site risks. This is an official appointment in terms of the Company policy to assist 16.2 appointees to meet their legal responsibilities.
• To participate with line management activities with particular reference to the appropriateness of operating procedures and the adherence thereto. To advise and assist in the identification and implementation of corrective actions relating to, for example, the revision of operating instructions or the training/re-training of operational personnel. Conducts induction and basis of safety training as well as multi-tasking assessments.
• To coordinate with line management and the centralized ETD Section towards ensuring that records of training are maintained so as to comply with legal and Company requirements.
• To assist line management in compiling SHE related training schedules and to provide or arrange for the provision of the identified training. This would relate to for example, clearance training, advanced driver training, environmental awareness training. Also to ensure that hard copy and systems records of such training are maintained.
• To control budget within the limit i.e.: PPE issued to employees and training.
• To provide a support functions for the Corporate function by the provision of key information and the implementation and interpretation of the Company SHE Policy.
Required Qualification & Skills Educational requirements:
• Must have Grade 12 or NQF4 equivalent qualification, plus a formal safety management qualification
Specific experience required:
• At least 2 years relevant experience
• The incumbent should be fully conversant with OHS Act, Explosives Act as well as any other SHE legislation and amendments to current legislation.
• The incumbent would require a sound working knowledge of the Skills Development Act and related NQF requirements as well as internal Company procedures pertaining to training for process operations.
• The incumbent needs to be proficient in the technical aspects of SHE management and requires a good understanding of Company as well as Explosive/OHS Act regulations, standards and procedures, and other relevant legislative requirements i.e. Water Act, Environmental Act.
• The incumbent would need to be possesses excellent presentation skills and a basic knowledge of training methodologies.