A permanent position exists at IDC Head office in Sandton for a Senior Environmental, Health and Safety Specialist in the EHS SBU reporting to the Head Environmetal, Health and Safety Department
Purpose of the job:
To be responsible for ensuring that IDC’s exposure to Environmental and Social associated risks are avoided and/or maintained at an acceptable minimum level.
Key functions of the position include:
- Provide guidance on Environmental and Social issues to the Business Units and the organisation
- Ensure that the IDC leads through responsible environmental friendly and Sustainable investments, which reduce climate change impacts of industries.
- Develop and maintain a good working knowledge of relevant legislation in South Africa and other countries where IDC operates.
- Remain abreast of developments in EHS thinking and practice locally and abroad.
- Contribute towards the organisation’s strategies on Environmental and Social issues which feed into sustainable development.
- Ensure that IDC’s Environmental and Social policies, standards and procedures remain aligned with current legislation and best practices locally and internationally.
- Review and update the IDC’s environmental policy to ensure alignment to the changing circumstances on a regular basis.
- Monitor compliance with the IDC `s environmental policy by subsidiaries and existing clients.
- Monitor environmental impact assessments conducted by the IDC, its subsidiaries and its clients.
- Provide assistance in the development and implementation of environmental management plans (EMPs) and environmental management systems (EMSs) at subsidiaries of the IDC.
- Asses Environmental, Health and Safety risk profiles of existing business partners and new projects under consideration for financing by the IDC.
- Maintain contact with the regulatory authorities in areas of IDC operation.
- Coordinate relevant capacity building interventions on environmental compliance.
- Planning and analysing
- Entrepreneurship and commercial thinking
- Writing and Reporting
- Presenting and Communicating information
- Managing self and Working with people
- Learning and Researching
- Delivering results and meeting customer expectations
- Relating and Networking
- Persuading and Influencing
- Adapting and responding to change
Extensive knowledge in Environmental Health and Safety field
Good understanding of formulating and implementation of EHS Strategies and related concepts
Bachelors or Honours degree in a technical discipline, preferably general or industrial chemistry or chemical engineering, augmented by formal qualifications in environmental sciences. A master’s degree will be advantageous in the field.
7-9 years relevant experience in the Environmental, Health and Safety field, or related field.
How to Apply
Click on this link to apply online